Problem with shoulder/hip rotation sequencing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2009
Georgia
Hello. First off....great board!! Lots of information here.

I have two daughters 13 and 15 that pitch. They both play travel ball and have had some success, but have some base mechanics problems that I am having difficulties solving.

Biggest problem. Hip/shoulder open/close sequencing. They are not consistently getting the step foot on the power line and then are also snapping the hip shut early and/or just never getting it open properly as they are hitting the hip with the pitching arm on a regular basis.

I watched a few videos and it looks like they are rotating the hip and shoulders instead of sliding shut and kicking back with the drag foot it appears.

Please provide any feedback or drills that I can use to get this problem solved.

Thanks in advance!!

Tigergrowls

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Break down pitching drill. You can start a drill with them standing on a side position with feet slightly wider than shoulder width. Have their stride foot at a 45-degree angle(making sure the balls of the feet are on power line) and their push off foot is perpendicular to the power line. Let them pitch in that position. Let the push off foot slide naturally.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know how much instruction that your DDs have had, but I explain why we get open. I show them that it is the same stance as batting or throwing overhand. I explain the physics of where their hips are, in relationship to where the pitch goes.

Also, and this drill is for arm circle, but you might try it. Have them stand facing a fence and stand about 6 inches from it. Have them pitch from there.

I would have them quit closing for awhile. Some pitchers never close.

The students that I have for the first few times, I don't teach to close and they get to a point, where they naturally feel like they need to square up. Then, we cover the "drag the toe."

Try having your DDs pitch into a fence or wall, a lot. That can help.

Jul 11, 2009
Georgia
Thanks for the feedback....

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. This is frustrating as we are having to retrain that muscle memory correctly. The devil is in the details with pitching.

I did have a good workout with both of them today and we will hit it everyday for the foreseeable future to get the right footwork and sequencing ingrained.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Tigergrowls, Two things I would recommend based on the problems you described. One, since you have two daughters this will be fairly cost effective, build a balance beam for them to practice on. Here is a link to give you an idea of what one should look like. YouTube - Balance Beam You can use a 2X6 and some 2X4 blocks to build it. Also if you have or can borrow Cheri Kempf's book on windmill pitching "The Pitcher's Edge" she uses one. Have them air through their motion on the beam. They have to hit the power line or they are on the floor. If you build one, make sure when they use it to land on the ball of their foot not the arch. Two, once they get comfortable with their motion on the beam place a cone about 6" behind and to the left of where their stride foot lands on the beam. You can play with the exact position of the cone. Now when they drag their pivot foot down the beam they should finish by kicking the cone with the side of their foot, that way they end in a nice figure four without slamming their hips and shoulder closed before they release the ball.

Jan 24, 2009
Tigergrowls, All pitchers occasionally hit their hip. The balance beam is a great training aid for this and many other issues. Cheri Kempf had this question posted on her website ClubK.com with her reply. Another tip in helping with this problem is the wall or fence drill with just the arm circle. Make sure to get behind her and ensure her arm circle is correct. Remember that she must stay on the correct pitching plane. Barry Sammons has a book ( The Windmill Pitcher ) that is a great resource. Hope this helps.

Aug 21, 2008
Tiger.. 2 things, in no particular order:

1. Make sure her toes of her stride foot are not pointing straight at the catcher, this will cause the hips to stay "closed" and she will not open them. The toe needs to point sideways... about 2 o'clock or so. Maybe have it point to 3 o'clock until the muscle memory kicks in for the arm.

2. When practicing, have her concentrate on rubbing her inside forearm against her bellybutton at the release. If she can do this, you'll know she cleared her hips. The ball will then go wherever her glove shoulder is pointing, so make sure it's pointed at the catcher.

I know there's all kinds of gadgets and drills out there for a variety of different things but, I find that a lot of stuff can be corrected without that and with simple common sense. Keep in mind.. .there are A LOT of pitching coaches who still teach the mechanics of "close the door" with the hips at the same time of release. I have no idea why.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd