Hip/Shoulder Separation and Backside Scrunch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So then, don't try to fire the hips or turn the middle of your body like J Stone progression drill?

RAjthKZ.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't understand what this is telling me or how it is answering my question. My question is specifically about the timing of when things 'fire'.

So the obliques are contracting against the hips extending.. This is part of closing the gap of separation (removing separation). This move to the eye is happening simultaneous.

RAjthKZ.gif

Goes hand and hand with Bryant's comments.

One of Bryant’s offseason adjustments was to bring his hands to the ball from the top of the zone. The feeling he created is one of “swinging down,” though that is more of a swing thought than a literal path. The adjustment made his swing quicker and more direct to high fastballs. It gave him the added benefit of “defining” the top line of the strike zone. Anything above his hands was a ball. Bryant took those 200 hacks a day on high pitches to create muscle memory—to regain that confidence a hitter gets from knowing where and how his hands are working.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
I don't understand what this is telling me or how it is answering my question. My question is specifically about the timing of when things 'fire'.

The answer to that has a lot of variables in my opinion, based on whether or not the player is on time with the pitch or not. Early the more stretch one gets and has to maintain dynamically, perfect timing in my mind would be like dominoes falling equally in time, late would be completely rushed and all the dominoes scattered LOL

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The answer to that has a lot of variables in my opinion, based on whether or not the player is on time with the pitch or not. Early the more stretch one gets and has to maintain dynamically, perfect timing in my mind would be like dominoes falling equally in time, late would be completely rushed and all the dominoes scattered LOL
What would it be assuming the hitter is on time? Lets take variables out. Based on what you said 'dominoes falling equally in time', does that mean at the same time? So all forces at once?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
So the obliques are contracting against the hips extending.. This is part of closing the gap of separation (removing separation). This move to the eye is happening simultaneous.

RAjthKZ.gif

Goes hand and hand with Bryant's comments.
Is that the lower half move that J Stone is showing? or is this 'launch' of the swing? in this gif, the obliques contracting pull the shoulder down, closing the gap as you say. Is this even the same thing as J Stone is showing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee