Hip/Shoulder Separation and Backside Scrunch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is that the lower half move that J Stone is showing? or is this 'launch' of the swing? in this gif, the obliques contracting pull the shoulder down, closing the gap as you say. Is this even the same thing as J Stone is showing?

This is the launch of the swing.. Doesn't look like JStone is describing this movement with his forced turning of the middle of his body. There is a turning element that occurs while getting into the leveraged position based on the pitch (think inside pitch).

Also these movements need to be reactions to actions up-front.. These reactions vs forced actions allows for the dynamic flow into becoming leveraged fyb.

Examples of UFA's

EL9bWCQ.gif

MUZvcgi.gif

610WPPc.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So then, don't try to fire the hips or turn the middle of your body like J Stone progression drill?

I like the first portion of the progression. walking away from the hands. after that I would try to keep both feet in the ground and swing. staying square is the cue I would use with that progression. This hitter was taught the walk away from the hands portion awhile back. think she made progress. I personally like her swing. she seems very mobile w her lower half. Hit a few HRs after learning ‘walk away’. Haven’t heard from her Dad since. Thinking she doesn’t need any help anymore. no news is good news I think. See the middle out launch?

1620159029033.gif

so ‘No’ would be my answer to learning how to launch. It’s reactive. I think Pattar said that a few pages ago. I agree. Just gotta get the slack out beforehand And maintain throughout.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
What would it be assuming the hitter is on time? Lets take variables out. Based on what you said 'dominoes falling equally in time', does that mean at the same time? So all forces at once?

I would say no, its once the legs and hips are leveraged dynamically. Its full on go time, but are you assuming a forced rotation of the hips have to happen first? I'm not thinking forced rotation of the hips. The concern to me would be keeping them square to the plate resisting any rotation and swing agianst them.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So your opinion is to actively keep shoulders back until 'pulled' by the lower half forward?
It happens fast. Core Twitch. I made that up and I like it. If you were to follow Justin Stone you would well on your way to a great swing. I like Josh Donaldson swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This is a rotational swing.

giphy.gif

The best you can do with a rotational swing is the hips and shoulders rotate at the same time. The shoulders will open early more than likely. You have to swing at the same time of rotation.

It lacks stretch. The hands are back, but he is creating hip rotation. The arms and hands don’t sync up to the body well because of a lack of stretch.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Hip extension. Kind of a non teach in hitting. If you tell a hitter to extend their hips they will do it too early and stand up/lose posture and swing and miss.

Yea, agree its basically a non teach but is what applies the rotation breaks when transferring the energy from the ground up. Core contracts against the hips extending.

4YZ8dwJ.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802