Combining workouts with skill and field work?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
**edit...I posted this in the wrong forum***

Our whole program from LL to HS basically started from scratch a couple years ago. We have one HS kid that plays travel, so to replace that for everyone else, we have open summer and fall sessions for MS (including incoming MS) and HS.

Part of this summer's game plan will be working on strength, agility, and coordination/reflexes. I have some props and ideas/plans to work with, but what's been sticking in my mind is...what's most beneficial for playing catch-up on more experienced programs and in what sequence should we do this?

Realistically, I hope to have 50% of the MS and HS girls get off the couch and come out for two hours, twice a week. I meed to work on all three of these facets plus actual softball skills/play.

MS is small and weak, but most of them are athletic and average or above average speed. They need strength and stamina badly. The HS has 6 seniors going out, so theyre getting a little smaller overall. We all workout together in the summer.

For cardio, we'll do something in a base cardio target heartrate zone on day 1, and then sprints and agility on day 2.

For the strength aspect, I'm not gonna take on the additional risk of heavy load bearing injuries on teenagers, so I'm planning on mostly lower half and core using things like kettle bells, med balls, and jumping, and some pushing and shoulder work. Nothing to redline strength effort. Plus I want them to have fun. Most of these girls haven't crossed over to the savage mindset yet and I want them to WANT to come back. We'll do sled push/pull, and maybe some tire flips type stuff. I plan on doing circuits and partner movements to save time and make use of limited equipment.

For reflex and coordination I have things like tennis balls and those crazy bouncing rubber things.

For the record, these are preliminary plans. I'll definitely be doing research the next couple weeks to make sure I'm hitting the critical aspects.

So...how do I go about organizing this stuff so they get the most out of each aspect of the training and apply it to the actual on-field skill and game scenario/IF/OF work?

From a purely hypertrophy and performance aspect, popular opinion out there is that when lifting and doing cardio on the same day you do the strength work first, and HIIT workouts should be a separate day. I can split those fine. But do we get into the actual softball hit/field work before or after the physical workouts? My initial thought is physical stuff first, but I'm not sure how much jelly legs and general fatigue will be an issue. Or would it be more beneficial for them to practice with general fatigue?

Or I was also thinking, coordination and reflex work first, then field work, then strength and conditioning.

I'm not sure though. Thoughts/opinions please!

Thanks!

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
. Or would it be more beneficial for them to practice with general fatigue?

Softball is so fast that specific skills have to be done almost perfectly. E.g., quickly fielding a ground ball and throwing it to first base is ridiculously complicated and has to be done with a great deal of precision.

The kids need a lot of reps...you don't want them sloppy at the end. So, a little jog and some dynamic stretching, then get into field work.

Or I was also thinking, coordination and reflex work first, then field work, then strength and conditioning.

This order works better.

Try to incorporate thinking, coordination and reflexes into the field practice rather than have it as something separate.

E.g., I like to use wiffle balls for batting practice. I have four kids batting, four kids kneeling and throwing the balls (overhand) to the batters, and then the rest picking up the hit balls. So, the kids throwing are working on coordination.

Another is to have the kids throw at a target.

Jan 25, 2022
Softball is so fast that specific skills have to be done almost perfectly. E.g., quickly fielding a ground ball and throwing it to first base is ridiculously complicated and has to be done with a great deal of precision.

The kids need a lot of reps...you don't want them sloppy at the end. So, a little jog and some dynamic stretching, then get into field work.

This order works better.

Try to incorporate thinking, coordination and reflexes into the field practice rather than have it as something separate.

E.g., I like to use wiffle balls for batting practice. I have four kids batting, four kids kneeling and throwing the balls (overhand) to the batters, and then the rest picking up the hit balls. So, the kids throwing are working on coordination.

Another is to have the kids throw at a target.

Thanks for the reply. Do you see results in field work that you can pretty reasonably ascertain are the result of specific activities you did? Or do you have some kind of benchmarks? I really like data. I like ways to prove progress. Percentage of success. Reaction time. Sprint times, etc. Ways that we can see what is or maybe isnt working, but most importantly a way for the individual to see progress, which should encourage additional effort. Success breeds confidence, and confident players perform without fear of failure. We need that mindset desperately if there's any hope of pushing this program out of the bottom 25% in the region.

I'm not trying to make things complicated, but I'd like to know what is and isn't working. Running, jumping, etc, is easy to track. I need (if possible) a way to see progress being made. I just want some basics I can put on a whiteboard for them to see and think about.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At your level, the main thing you need is pitching. How do you plan on developing pitchers?

Thanks for the reply. Do you see results in field work that you can pretty reasonably ascertain are the result of specific activities you did? Or do you have some kind of benchmarks?

Oh boy...

Softball is a SKILL sport. The game is very fast.

Your job as a coach is teach the correct way to do the skills. *You* first have to learn the correct way to field a ground ball, catch a popup, etc. Then you teach it.

If you really know what you are doing, you can see each time how a mistake in a skill leads to an error.

Suppose you are teaching fielding ground balls.

You put the kids in a line. And you lightly hit ground balls to them. (I hit the balls with one hand.) You watch each kid field the ground ball...from the hop all way to the throw. If you see any part that is wrong, you correct them *IMMEDIATELY* and have them do it again until they get it right.

Ways that we can see what is or maybe isnt working, but most importantly a way for the individual to see progress, which should encourage additional effort.

Here is how you get more effort out of a kid:

1. Know each and every part of the specific skill you are trying to teach.
2. Know techniques to teach the kids that specific skill.
3. Prove to the kid, every time you work with her, that you want *HER* to improve.

You do those things, and the kids will walk on water for you.

Success breeds confidence, and confident players perform without fear of failure.
This is tough love....but that is nonsense.

Players perform the way they were taught. You teach a kid the correct way to field a ball, and they will field the ball correctly. You teach a kid the correct way to hit, and she will hit the ball.

We need that mindset desperately if there's any hope of pushing this program out of the bottom 25% in the region.

"Winning" at sports is 99.9% about skills and athletic ability. You can increase your team's competitiveness by improving their skills. To become "good" requires talent.

The stuff you can track is throwing accuracy and distance. With accuracy, you set up a net. Put a target in the net. You have the kids throw 10 times. You count how many times they hit the target. With distance, you have them throw and you calculate the distance.

You don't have to graph it. You can simply play a "who can throw the ball the farthest" game and an "accuracy" game at the end of each practice.

One fun game is "who can catch the most popups in a row". You start off hitting an easy popup to each kid, and then you gradually increase the difficulty. Takes a little skill with the bat, but the kids love it.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
At your level, the main thing you need is pitching. How do you plan on developing pitchers?

Oh boy...

Softball is a SKILL sport. The game is very fast.

Your job as a coach is teach the correct way to do the skills. *You* first have to learn the correct way to field a ground ball, catch a popup, etc. Then you teach it.

If you really know what you are doing, you can see each time how a mistake in a skill leads to an error.

Suppose you are teaching fielding ground balls.

You put the kids in a line. And you lightly hit ground balls to them. (I hit the balls with one hand.) You watch each kid field the ground ball...from the hop all way to the throw. If you see any part that is wrong, you correct them *IMMEDIATELY* and have them do it again until they get it right.

Here is how you get more effort out of a kid:

1. Know each and every part of the specific skill you are trying to teach.
2. Know techniques to teach the kids that specific skill.
3. Prove to the kid, every time you work with her, that you want *HER* to improve.

You do those things, and the kids will walk on water for you.

This is tough love....but that is nonsense.

Players perform the way they were taught. You teach a kid the correct way to field a ball, and they will field the ball correctly. You teach a kid the correct way to hit, and she will hit the ball.

"Winning" at sports is 99.9% about skills and athletic ability. You can increase your team's competitiveness by improving their skills. To become "good" requires talent.

The stuff you can track is throwing accuracy and distance. With accuracy, you set up a net. Put a target in the net. You have the kids throw 10 times. You count how many times they hit the target. With distance, you have them throw and you calculate the distance.

You don't have to graph it. You can simply play a "who can throw the ball the farthest" game and an "accuracy" game at the end of each practice.

One fun game is "who can catch the most popups in a row". You start off hitting an easy popup to each kid, and then you gradually increase the difficulty. Takes a little skill with the bat, but the kids love it.
I think you may be under the impression that we aren't putting any priority on skill work. It's the #2 priority after pitching. We already do most of the things you've mentioned, and we have specific things that need addressed more than others. We know what each player's strengths and weaknesses are, and with no games looming this is our best opportunity to work on them. I probably didn't make clear enough how far behind we started last year. 20 girls. 10 with no experience, 6 with one season of LL in a LL that had started from scratch only two years before that, and the remaining few had played 3 years each .

Our LL had TWO teams made up of kids from 7 to 13. This is a small town by any standards.

For some reason at the time, the bigger and sturdier girls were off playing some other sports..lol.

These girls are small and not anywhere near their pound for pound strength potential. The results of the physical training is part of the skill. A little faster reaction gets the glove in position faster. A stronger glove hand helps keep the ball secured when two hands aren't an option. A better jump grabs that high line drive clean instead of a heartbreaking snow cone. A faster sprint gets you under the ball faster so there's more time to position for the catch.

Most of these girls have solid fundamentals. They just need more reps over more time, which we have. But that strength/agility/coordination is what helps us catch up to the other school teams who have half their kids playing travel. We can try to get the same amount of reps, and we can play regular, mixed scrimmages with the HS team.

The first team we played this year looked like a JV football team. It was legitimately funny seeing the physical difference in our two teams. We took what they gave us and made most of our plays, but we got waxed. They got 18 hits and most of them were rockets.

In one imstance, our shortstop made a fantastic play on a line drive almost behind 2B, but it literally took her glove off her hand. She's about 5'2 and 90lbs. The girl who hit it was probably 5'8/150. This is what we're working with, and that's what most of the teams in our area look like. We had three girls 5'4 or taller, and two of them are moving to HS. This is why we have to get stronger and faster.

Pitching is priority 1. Last year we had basically nothing. One girl who could throw, and she threw maybe 40% strikes for a couple innings, then melted down. So my daughter started lessons, and we did open pitching sessions all winter. I've observed 70 hours of her lessons, and have caught thousands of pitches while reinforcing her training, so HC and I were able to get a couple girls throwing reasonably straight.

We didn't have anyone else in real lessons besides our "ace" and my kid. Our main pitcher got a lot better in the offseasom and she and my daughter threw really nice fastballs. Our realistic goal was to have them throw strikes so we could have an opportunity to make a play, and they did. But all they have at this point is a fastball. That means lots of hit balls.

The other two girls did their best, and for the most part were able to muddle through a JV game. Two seasons ago we beat one team and went the distance with one other. This past season we beat three and went the distance with three others in nailbiters. It was a huge improvement.

So now, my kid and the ace are both moving to HS. Now the other two girls will be working all off-season, and hopefully will have a reliable fastball and a semi reliable change-up. And that's where I come in again...I can teach basic pitching, and I'm waiting on the background check to complete so I can purchase the Pauly certification. So I can help the two remaining girls and one other who will allegedly be starting lessons.

I also will be volunteering even MORE of my time helping some of the LL girls learn to pitch. I care about seeing these kids succeed, and next season I'll have both my daughters on the HS team. I care just as much about seeing the LL and MS players grow as I do the HS, but the HS isn't in much better shape. Their main pitchers next year will be my freshman and the "ace," who is a 7th grader. This past season the most comsistent thrower on the HS team threw 40mph down the middle. Had about 2 hours of pitching education before making her first start. Im sure you can guess how that went.

The upcoming ace throws about 50 at her best. Her new coach is my daughter's coach so he knows what we need and is doing his best to get her caught up as much as possible. For my kid, we're shooting for 50mph with spots and a reliable change-up.

This whole program from top to bottom was on life support two years ago and despite the beat-downs, it's made tremendous progress...but we have to find every small advantage or area of improvement that we can in addition to fundamentals and reps.

And honestly I really don't know what to say about the tough love comment..lol. I can only presume you misunderstood what I was saying. Success breeds confidence and confidence conquers fear. And fearlessness is part of continued success.

For instance, some kids appear to be scared to get under the ball, right? But many times, what they're scared of is failure. They have the skill. They've done the drill. They do it correctly in practice the majority if the time...or maybe they don't, but a lot of it is just that they're afraid to make the mistake, no matter how many times we tell them we'll never yell at them for failing if they were giving their BEST effort.

Then it happens...they lay out and catch one in a game. Instinct and training finally kicked in. Muscle memory won out over insecurity. It's the spark and tiny flame of confidence they needed. That happens a few more times and they start to believe in themselves. They get aggressive. They go after the ball. They make that catch, or they they finally slide stealing 2B, or they stop irrationally worrying about the runner coming at them while theyre trying to field a throw on a tag play. Success is the catch or the slide or the tag, confidence is the result, fear is overshadowed by confidence, and it snowballs. Then one day they're a savage. This is what we need, and we have to do the extra work to get there faster.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And honestly I really don't know what to say about the tough love comment..lol. I can only presume you misunderstood what I was saying. Success breeds confidence and confidence conquers fear. And fearlessness is part of continued success.
I didn't misunderstand you. What are you say is BS. It is what coaches and parents say when they get frustrated.

Parent: Why didn't Suzy get a hit/make an error/not play?
Coach: She lacked confidence.

For instance, some kids appear to be scared to get under the ball, right?

First, you don't get "under a ball" to catch a fly or pop-up. If you are teaching a kid to "get under the ball", then the child should be afraid.

The ball should be caught in front of you. If you need to throw, you catch it off the throwing shoulder.

I've coached for 30+ years and I've taught lots of kids how to catch fly balls and popups. I've never had a kid afraid to catch flies or popups after they were instructed.

The way you teach catching fly balls is to take a *BAT* and hit (not throw) lots and lots of popups.

But many times, what they're scared of is failure.
Silly sports psychology. Spend time teaching skills.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
I didn't misunderstand you. What are you say is BS. It is what coaches and parents say when they get frustrated.

Parent: Why didn't Suzy get a hit/make an error/not play?
Coach: She lacked confidence.

First, you don't get "under a ball" to catch a fly or pop-up. If you are teaching a kid to "get under the ball", then the child should be afraid.

The ball should be caught in front of you. If you need to throw, you catch it off the throwing shoulder.

I've coached for 30+ years and I've taught lots of kids how to catch fly balls and popups. I've never had a kid afraid to catch flies or popups after they were instructed.

The way you teach catching fly balls is to take a *BAT* and hit (not throw) lots and lots of popups.

Silly sports psychology. Spend time teaching skills.

Too many imagined scenarios and manufactured presumptions there to deal with. I think we've milked all we can out of this. I stopped arguing on the internet when I became a grown-up. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Feb 25, 2020
I'm with Sluggers. You should be practicing softball at softball practice. "Conditioning" and "Reflex Training" are a waste of time. Unless your shirt-hot on all fundamentals (ground balls of all types(forehand, backhand, routine), fly balls, run downs, bunt coverages, steal coverage(all situations), double plays, base-running, back-pick plays, situational nuances ET FREAKING CETERA) the girls can do planks on their own. If you're at a softball field with a team do softball until you run out of softball stuff to practice.

Feb 25, 2020
I will add, if you really want to build a dynasty type program, you should focus on training the parents of the 8U 10U and 12U players. 4 hours a week of team practice is not enough for you to really develop anything special. The players need 4 hours a week team practice and like 2 hours additional time one on one either from an instuctor (lots o money) or a parent who has a little bit of knowledge. Train your trainers.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee