Practice Debate - Opinions Welcome

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2013
I'd go with 1.

You really need to split out sport specic activities

No mlb pitcher throws 12 months a year and no doctor I know recommends it.

I would skip any throwing for 4-6 weeks. Hitting I think is ok if not too intense and I would skip strength or agility training
If you vary it enough.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'd go with 1.

You really need to split out sport specic activities

No mlb pitcher throws 12 months a year and no doctor I know recommends it.

I would skip any throwing for 4-6 weeks. Hitting I think is ok if not too intense and I would skip strength or agility training
If you vary it enough.

So you would defer strength and agility to when? The "off season" is the opportune time for such activities. Throwing is one thing but why not do strength and agility?

Nov 29, 2009
I always shut my teams down from the end of the last scheduled fall tournament into November trying to make it 4 weeks or close to that. During that time I still want them working hitting on their own with their hitting instructor. In December we start some conditioning and fielding. Pitchers starting pitching again. Catchers start working with pitchers again. After Jan 1 we go into full team practices for 8-9 weeks or so. Because we are in a cold weather state I try to schedule a couple of indoor RR's in Jan and Feb to get everyone back to game speed and ready for HS tryouts. Then we get shut down for HS ball at the end of February. I always get kids tell me they didn't know what to do with themselves during the break. I found they are refreshed and anxious to get back to work.

I'm sure the teams in warm weather states have a different routine they follow.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
Seems like lots of fun debate here...

My daughter plays 10u so maybe it's different but right now we have had off since October 18. In November we will have Wednesday conditionings/practice that will combine speed and agility workouts with hitting off a tee and use of the TCB heavies. We will take all of December off and starting in January-March we will practice 2-2.5 hours every Sunday. We also have 2 indoor tournament scheduled throughout the winter.

I know according to some of you this is 'not enough' and I would agree except for the fact that I believe it is my responsibility as her parent to make sure she is getting in additional work. In addition to our scheduled Sunday practices she will practice 2-3 times a week in our elementary school gym. I don't think the 'scheduled' time is as important an issues as to what are the girls doing when they aren't scheduled for practice. Hopefully they are doing something to make themselves better.

I also certainly understand the 'other sport' concern. My daughter also plays AAU basketball and devotes a lot of time to that. I don't believe at 10 she should commit herself to one sport when she is equally talented in them and loves them both. Both sports provide a 'break' from the other and helps develop other muscles that will aide her in her physical development.

Sometimes there is too much of a good thing...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom