Practice Debate - Opinions Welcome

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
Our coaching staff is disagreeing on what kind of practicing the girls should go through this winter, we are 16U team located in the Northeast.

Coach # 1 - Shut girls down entirely for November, Start Speed & Agility in December, Ramp back up in January with one two hour indoor practice plus speed & agility for January & February

Coach # 2 - Hitting in November, Start Speed & Agility in December, Ramp back up in January with one two hour indoor practice plus speed & agility for January & February

Coach # 3 - Shut girls down for November & December - Start Speed & Agility & two hour practices in January

Curious to see what everyone else does for the winter months.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do not know where you live or the purpose of this team, but from where I sit all three are pretty weak if this is a competitive College Showcase team. Would have to go with #2 until I found a team with some intensity. Is this maybe in addition to playing HS ball?

Feb 12, 2014
Do not know where you live or the purpose of this team, but from where I sit all three are pretty weak if this is a competitive College Showcase team. Would have to go with #2 until I found a team with some intensity. Is this maybe in addition to playing HS ball?

We played four showcases this fall and did pretty well, and many of the girls are looking to play in college. We are a young 16U, one freshman, seven sophomores & five juniors.

I felt two months off was pretty weak myself

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
Don't know about your location, but sometimes it's tough if you are around small schools like we are (also cold weather state) and have to compete with the HS sports, (Basketball, Volleyball, etc...) If girls around my area pick one sport, the schools would be screwed. With that said, I have to agree, depends on the intensity of the team and what you want out of it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We played four showcases this fall and did pretty well, and many of the girls are looking to play in college. We are a young 16U, one freshman, seven sophomores & five juniors.

I felt two months off was pretty weak myself

Come on SB23 - "Looking to play in college"? I am "looking to win the lottery." :) Maybe bump that up to "relentlessly pursuing college opportunities". Especially for the 5 Juniors who for them there is no "off season" until November of their Senior year. As Juniors they should be verballed or close to it. And the Sophomores had better have some schools with some real interest. As in life there are countless opportunities out there. The ones that get left behind are those that do not put forth the effort.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Don't know about your location, but sometimes it's tough if you are around small schools like we are (also cold weather state) and have to compete with the HS sports, (Basketball, Volleyball, etc...) If girls around my area pick one sport, the schools would be screwed. With that said, I have to agree, depends on the intensity of the team and what you want out of it.

Apologize for my cold black heart but screw the other High School sports! If your DD wants to play in college you cannot let that or anything else stand in the way. The ride is out there. You need to go get it.

It actually isn't a bad idea to give the girls a month off from throwing, catching pitchers and other things that can cause use injuries. It is amazing what even two weeks off will do to heal sore arms/thumbs/knees, etc.

I'd be OK with a modified #2 option:

Hitting in November. Start Strength, Speed & Agility plus one two-hour indoor practice in December. Ramp back up fully in January & February with two two-hour indoor practices plus strength, speed & agility plus a separate hitting practice.

Sep 18, 2011

Riseball - the last time i followed that advice for my DD she ended up with two stress fractures in her back. We agree to disagree.

Silverbullett I'd be interested to see the results if you posed this as a poll qiuestion. My vote would be for number 3, which seems entirely sensible. I guarantee you major league baseball players are going to take a couple of months off. Shouldn't our kids?

In any event, I don't want to turn this into yet another specialization debate. it's my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Here's a link to an article regarding taking time off. Again, not everyone will agree with it.

http://www.momsteam.com/team-of-exp...afety/taking-time-off-from-sports-important-f

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011

I'm leaning towards #1 because that's what we are doing:) December we start Jeager ' s long toss program and he suggests a few weeks off before starting along with strength/agility and batting. January we go 5 days a week though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom