POLL ~PLAYING TIME how much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PLAYING TIME whats needed?

• 25%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50%

• 75%

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • 100%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Playing time whats enough?
Or perhaps whats needed?

1 in 3 for friendlies is that enough to develop to earn a spot for tournaments?

How much playing time at primary position to learn it and earn it?

Whats better more playing time on weaker team?
Or less on better team?

Few innings scattered at multiple positions equaling 50% playing time ok?

Who gets more playing time?
Why...

All sorts of possibilities!
*These are just a few suggestions.
Whats your thoughts?
Whats enough/needed for you?

GO SOFTBALL !!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This depends on a number of things... So to explain my thoughts, I will go through my history.

Rec Ball (10u and 12u) -- When I coached at this level, I tried to manage equal playing time as much as possible. We had a few players that played a little more than others, but even our best players would sit out at times.

12u and 14u travel -- I still focused on equal playing, or close to it. Since it was travel, I knew I would start receiving questions from parents, so I started keeping track of innings and at bats. Those that had less innings or at bats were usually those that missed time due to other commitments or injuries.

16u and 18u -- The focus here was college recruiting. Play was determined by the coaches in attendance and who they were there to see. In most cases other players would play more at other events. Overall I did try to balance time, but it was done differently.

High School -- Strictly based on ability but would try to give others a taste of playing time when possible. Our high school team typically had 16 to 18 players, so those that did not play varsity did play junior varsity. In fact, a couple varsity players would play JV as well.

23u -- COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!! Players would come to me before the game and ask for a break. We carried 5 pitchers and never had a single issue with playing time. Each would go 3 or 4 innings at a time, and then the next one would play. Players in the field would sub often and switch positions. But the mentality was staying fresh and practicing for college ball. Winning was still important, but wasn't the same as other age levels. Even the parents were more laid back at this point. They were just happy to see their daughters play while they were hanging out with other parents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBaller65