Player punished for parent debt (rec)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Since the parents involved the player, she should be aware of why she is or is not being allowed to play. I agree with Joe-set a meeting if they don't attend and player still shows for Mondays practice, send her home.

Irritates me, the ones with the hardship cases around here have the latest iPhones, cars, and pockets of cash.

Nov 29, 2009
Um, at 14u and up it's pretty much the players responsibility. It is their responsibility to make sure that their fees are paid.

And how many 15 year old kids are involved with knowing or controlling the family finances? I have never dealt with a player about unpaid/paid fees for them playing ball. It's always been with the parents.

At 15 the player could work the options the league gave the family. Per the OP the mother was playing "victim" saying she didn't know anything about it.

Jul 26, 2010
A 15 year old kid should be darn well aware of how much their family is spending on them to play softball. They are present for the player/parent meeting at the beginning of each season and sign the forms along with their parent that detail the rules and payment options.

It's no wonder we have so many dead beat people in the world when families are so willing to shelter their teenagers and fail to prepare them for life properly.

-W

This has been an interesting discussion. I for one hate to see a kid denied the chance to play because of the parent's failures. In this case however it seems beyond failure, it looks like outright refusal to follow the rules of the organization. IMHO it is not a case of Punishing anyone, it is a matter of did they meet their responsibilities. Punishing would be taking the money, then denying the chance to play because of breaking team rules, missing practices, etc.
We can all agree that it is difficult to disregard the rules/expectations for one or two sets of parents and then expect everyone else to pay promptly and happily man the concessions, gate or do field work.
Fairness and Right & Wrong are huge issues in keeping everyone happy and on board.
If the parents are sincere, then they can pay up, promptly. They could also be actively looking for a way to WORK!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
A 15 year old kid should be darn well aware of how much their family is spending on them to play softball. They are present for the player/parent meeting at the beginning of each season and sign the forms along with their parent that detail the rules and payment options.

It's no wonder we have so many dead beat people in the world when families are so willing to shelter their teenagers and fail to prepare them for life properly.

-W

Being aware is one thing. Being responsible for the financial end of it is something completely different.

I tell my teams at the start of the season their parents are spending a LOT of money for them to play. They better appreciate what they're doing for them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz