pitching speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
I haven't noticed the very top pitchers showing up at NFCA camps. I don't suppose they need the exposure. Possibly even committed already. I'm thinking their average speeds would skew these results upward at the older age groups.

While your point is valid, I would think any given year the up and coming pitchers would balance out the statistics. Junior and seniors may not be going but I bet there are a lot of freshman and sophomores going looking for exposure.

A couple of years back I compiled the statistics from all NFCA camps, just over 21% of the total pitchers reached 60mph. Some camps had no pitchers over 60. The largest number of girls over 60 was the NFCA camp from the Colorado 4th of July tournaments.

May 12, 2008
While your point is valid, I would think any given year the up and coming pitchers would balance out the statistics. Junior and seniors may not be going but I bet there are a lot of freshman and sophomores going looking for exposure.

Yes but even some of the best at that age are verbally committing.

A couple of years back I compiled the statistics from all NFCA camps, just over 21% of the total pitchers reached 60mph. Some camps had no pitchers over 60. The largest number of girls over 60 was the NFCA camp from the Colorado 4th of July tournaments.

That certainly makes sense.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Now there is a thought. I wonder if the lighter air has any impact on the speed of a pitcher? I am sure someone has already figured this one out.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Recruiting camps are usually gunned with walk through pitches.

Not the ones we have been to. The kids are told what pitches at what stations, and they take the highest speed pitches - and then list the speed along with what pitch they threw for that speed.

Oct 15, 2009
My bushnell gun is 1 to 2 mph slower than Juggs gun. DD's pitching coach and another students dad both have Juggs guns and even timimg the same pitches my gun is 1 to 2 mph slower.

Feb 6, 2009
I have a Bushnell and the problem I'm having with it now (about a year later) is erractic readings. It's reading slower speeds in our basement then it is outside by a couple mph. It's also very erratic now in the basement. Not sure what's going on. I had read one review where the guy said his did this then died after 14 months. That's about how old mine is.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I have a bushnell that when compared to other bushnell's is exactly the same. I have never clocked the same pitch next to a juggs. I have no problem if mine is a couple of mph slow, it is more used to compare vs. clock speed.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
At the Queen of Diamonds, few pitchers hit 60PMH. I know one young Freshman that her dad is always posting she throws in the 60's . She was gunned in the high 50's. The other thing I found interesting. Those that were gunned the fastest, got hit the hardest.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA