pitching speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I have a bushnell that when compared to other bushnell's is exactly the same. I have never clocked the same pitch next to a juggs. I have no problem if mine is a couple of mph slow, it is more used to compare vs. clock speed.

I agree - I would much rather have it show slow, that will motivate to improve.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I have a Bushnell and the problem I'm having with it now (about a year later) is erractic readings. It's reading slower speeds in our basement then it is outside by a couple mph. It's also very erratic now in the basement. Not sure what's going on. I had read one review where the guy said his did this then died after 14 months. That's about how old mine is.

Change the battery even if you think its fresh. I had a temper tantrum with mine and threw it - broke into 5 pieces, it was doing the same thing you are describing. Then I remembered this happened a couple of years back with the same one, change batteries and all was good again, however this time, it was too late.

May 12, 2008
At the Queen of Diamonds, few pitchers hit 60PMH. I know one young Freshman that her dad is always posting she throws in the 60's . She was gunned in the high 50's. The other thing I found interesting. Those that were gunned the fastest, got hit the hardest.

If you aren't throwing significantly faster than the hitters have seen, straight stuff won't get it done. Even if you are it's just a matter of time before they catch up. More speed, more movement and more command. Get all you can along with change of speed. Pitch to your strengths and away from theirs. Speed is good because it gives the hitter less of the one thing they never have enough of...time.

May 12, 2008
Change the battery even if you think its fresh. I had a temper tantrum with mine and threw it - broke into 5 pieces, it was doing the same thing you are describing. Then I remembered this happened a couple of years back with the same one, change batteries and all was good again, however this time, it was too late.

See the gun is supposed to help throwing speed on the ball, not the gun. ;)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Mark H: Correct, this is a true test when you are facing the best hitters. They find out that speed alone won't cut it, because it is tough to overpower a good hitter with speed.. These hitters were also the best and they were setting on fast balls.

Feb 19, 2009
I have a Bushnell and the problem I'm having with it now (about a year later) is erractic readings. It's reading slower speeds in our basement then it is outside by a couple mph. It's also very erratic now in the basement. Not sure what's going on. I had read one review where the guy said his did this then died after 14 months. That's about how old mine is.

I recently got a Bushnell Velocity, which from what I've read has fewer problems than the Speed, and I've noticed different readings in a gym and at my dd's indoor pitching lessons (about 3 mph slower). I'm pretty sure it's due to the amount of light in the room, the gym wasn't the brightest I've been in but it was a lot brighter than our coach's facility. I haven't taken it outside yet but I'd guess it's most accurate there.

Feb 6, 2009
It's odd... A week ago we were at the indoor pracice facility and I gunned her consistently at 52-53. I changed batteries and still getting lower readings in the basement of the house. We pitched in the basement once last month and I took her outside to throw 4 pitches and the average of those 4 was 2-3 mph faster than inside. So, for some reason the gun is reading slower in the basement. ??

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I was just at a college showcase. 23 pitchers listed speeds over 60MPH in profiles. Very few exceeded 60 MPH in the camp. One listed 65. But I also saw a 80MPH bat speed posted!

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
See the gun is supposed to help throwing speed on the ball, not the gun. ;)

Mark, I wrote Bushnell and asked them to place a warning that the gun was to be used to measure speed of the ball, not how fast the gun could be thrown in fits of anger. No answer yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA