People behind the plate calling out where the catcher is set up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2022
NY didn't get the memo. I've seen umpires throw fans out the last several years, including this spring. Most of the time it was for questioning calls in a rather salty manner, which I'll admit I'm guilty of doing from time to time. Several times I've seen them ask the HC or AD to address the issue.

When the AD gets involved, then it gets really interesting. Since he's not actively part of the game, he feels he can do whatever he wants. He might even have a bit of a Napoleon complex. It's a good thing he's now retired and I'm done with HS ball.

I just remembered you once told me that NY doesn't follow NFHS rules. They follow USA. I wonder if they allow umpires to deal with fans still.
I got kicked out of a game last Fall. I know it's cliche, but it actually wasn't my fault. Yes, the field ump was terrible and we all were giving him the usual, "Come on Blue, that was terrible!" "That's 3 calls you cost us!" typical stuff After another missed call a parent yelled, an obscenity at the ump and he turned and saw me standing there and threw me out. I told him that it wasn't me who said it, but wasn't going to throw anyone under the bus.
Could I have refused to leave and make a scene, maybe, but then the game would be stopped, the tournament director called, and the team risk a forfeit. The tournament director is going to back the umps, so even if they don't have direct authority to throw you out, if they want you gone you are going to be gone.

It all ended well because it was 95 degrees out, and my car was in the first row facing the field - so I sat in the AC and watched the game :)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I got kicked out of a game last Fall. I know it's cliche, but it actually wasn't my fault. Yes, the field ump was terrible and we all were giving him the usual, "Come on Blue, that was terrible!" "That's 3 calls you cost us!" typical stuff After another missed call a parent yelled, an obscenity at the ump and he turned and saw me standing there and threw me out. I told him that it wasn't me who said it, but wasn't going to throw anyone under the bus.
Could I have refused to leave and make a scene, maybe, but then the game would be stopped, the tournament director called, and the team risk a forfeit. The tournament director is going to back the umps, so even if they don't have direct authority to throw you out, if they want you gone you are going to be gone.

It all ended well because it was 95 degrees out, and my car was in the first row facing the field - so I sat in the AC and watched the game :)
Mine was at a HS game in the rain. My issue wasn't with the umps, although they did make a few bad calls. Mine was with the AD, who got right in my face, in a case of mistaken identity. I was keeping score in an Under The Weather pod, and the only thing I could see with clarity was the field. Someone yelled at the umpire, and the AD walked up to me, got right in my face, and started yelling at me that it was enough. I tried to explain it wasn't me, but he threw me out. When I took longer than he wanted, he put his hands on me. That's when I got really hot. I didn't touch him, but I reminded him that if he ever touched me again, he wouldn't make it home that night.

Needless to say, I wasn't at anymore home games the rest of the season. The perpetrator did come forward and admit it wasn't me, so at least I got that satisfaction.

Mar 29, 2023
Just say you don't want to deal with this, it is OK. I am telling you my experience (not a one off occurrence) and how it is handled in my area. I work with plenty of umpires that don't want to take care of business when it needs taken care of. It's OK.

As for the parent thing, I don't know what else to tell you. You don't want to deal with this, so you are not going to listen to any answer that is given. Again, that is OK for your field.

You are all over the place on this though. "Don't have anything to do with the crowd," until you deem them too rowdy or recognize a dad who maybe helped out two weeks ago when another coach was out. He is a coach just because you deem him to be one? Applying your logic, why do you have an issue with the catcher looking to her dad . . . or maybe it is the pitcher's dad and he is calling pitches?

What happens when the coach tells me the person isn't a coach? Then I inform(ed) him the person was coaching, so he can tell them to stop or he can tell them to get in his dugout. Those are the two options. If the person does not get in the dugout and continues to coach, we have no recourse but to eject the coaches -- both of them -- since they refused to comply. Never had to see that through to the end, but am not afraid to take care of it if I need to.

I don't really care about who is right or wrong here, but this seems this all boils down to ability versus actual given authority. Comp, by rule, seems right that there isn't actual authority, but you are right that you have the ability to do it.

I mean, anyone can assume the ability to get folks to stop if the trump card is "well no one can play if I don't let them until a TD or cops arrive."

Jun 18, 2023
What happens when the coach tells me the person isn't a coach? Then I inform(ed) him the person was coaching, so he can tell them to stop or he can tell them to get in his dugout. Those are the two options. If the person does not get in the dugout and continues to coach, we have no recourse but to eject the coaches -- both of them -- since they refused to comply. Never had to see that through to the end, but am not afraid to take care of it if I need to.

This wouldn't really resolve the OP situation, but couldn't/shouldn't coaches just be listed on the lineup card or some other manner? At least there would be some official measure of "you shouldn't be there". No person without an ASA sticker on their head can be a coach.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
No person without an ASA sticker on their head can be a coach.
The literal image considering coaches walking around with a sticker on their head made me laugh LOL 😂
coaches walking around all proud,
... they've got a sticker they're acknowledged.
Someone would start selling fake coaching stickers. LOL Black Market coaching stickers. Next tournament an entire stand of parents are all wearing coaching sticker on their head. LOL oh it could actually happen!🙈🙉🙊🥳

Jul 19, 2021
I didn't touch him, but I reminded him that if he ever touched me again, he wouldn't make it home that night.
200w.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBaller65