Parent pitchers question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Aren’t most of the coaches gone by Sunday? They usually show up to watch players they’re in contact with and go to pool games where they know the schedule. Not sure how going to a lower team is supposed help with recruiting. Coaches don’t go to lower level games so even if they are still around on Sunday they won’t be watching a kid on a B team.

Didn’t know P5 kids signed earlier than other divisions. That must be new.

They don’t but if you don’t realize that most of the P5 coaches have pretty much solidified their signing classes for 2024 by now then I can’t help you. There’s always going to be an example or two of a late verbal of a great player or a big program but most of the high level players and programs are pretty much done at the 2024 level and are looking primarily at the 2025 class and starting to build lists for 2026. Many other D1 programs I’m sure are still actively recruiting 24s but even those kids and coaches have been making relationships and should have a plan and I’d venture that most d2 and others have pretty solid plans and lists for 24s at this point. Don’t be obnoxious just for the sake of being that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
This is my main concern. It's time to be making college decisions. Seems when she pitches, they lose due to errors. Those defensive plays that seem to me easy, are missed.
What grade will she be going into? A 1st year 16U player can be HS freshman. If this truly is the case with what you wrote above, she needs to get on a better team this upcoming fall as next summer will be big for her if she wants to get recruited.

May 13, 2023
Regarding college coaches
They usually show up to watch players they’re in contact with and go to pool games where they know the schedule.
There is some accuracy to that.
Not sure how going to a lower team is supposed help with recruiting. Coaches don’t go to lower level games so even if they are still around on Sunday they won’t be watching a kid on a B team.
Wasn't sure if your comments were only regarding P5 players?

However absolutely lower totem pole college coaches go to lower level games.
And will generally attend different softball venues than the top type level softball tournaments.
Example- for pgf Premier and Platinum can draw different College attention.
Premier being more top players than the Platinum bracket.
Sunday brings out the best of both levels.

May 21, 2018
How many pitchers in travel ball just sub for other teams? If your a parent or player has it benefitted you? We are on a team that at the end of this season had 5 pitchers. That really limited the number of times my daughter pitched, that combined with the team just did not perform good enough to play more games on sunday. Is one better off just to sub for other teams? Seems in our area there is always that need for fill ins.
I've been considering this. DD has been getting a lot good offers to sub in some big tournaments this summer, but with the commitment to the team she can't except any of them. My gut feeling is, it's still better to be part of a team. Especially if you want to hit and play other positions, but I totally understand where you are coming from.

Dec 19, 2021
First half of the summer about 10%...last tournament of the season (6 games) she pitched one game(5innings) and relieved the last game (3 innings).
Not enough.

Time for a new team unless 2 of the pitchers on the current roster leave.

Picking up may be fine for what little is left of the summer season. I honestly have not seen a lot of pickup players in 16 or 18u, but it does happen. Probably not a great plan if she is looking to play next level.

Nov 18, 2013
They don’t but if you don’t realize that most of the P5 coaches have pretty much solidified their signing classes for 2024 by now then I can’t help you. There’s always going to be an example or two of a late verbal of a great player or a big program but most of the high level players and programs are pretty much done at the 2024 level and are looking primarily at the 2025 class and starting to build lists for 2026. Many other D1 programs I’m sure are still actively recruiting 24s but even those kids and coaches have been making relationships and should have a plan and I’d venture that most d2 and others have pretty solid plans and lists for 24s at this point. Don’t be obnoxious just for the sake of being that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn’t being obnoxious. You said signed and there’s a huge difference in signing and being recruited or verballing. Other than that and the Sunday thing I agree with your post.

Nov 18, 2013
Regarding college coaches

There is some accuracy to that.

Wasn't sure if your comments were only regarding P5 players?

However absolutely lower totem pole college coaches go to lower level games.
And will generally attend different softball venues than the top type level softball tournaments.
Example- for pgf Premier and Platinum can draw different College attention.
Premier being more top players than the Platinum bracket.
Sunday brings out the best of both

I was referring to dropping to a lower travel team for recruiting. That didn’t make much sense to me. Perhaps he meant lowering goals to look at lower college programs.

Regarding Sunday, do coaches stick around that long now? I used to see a higher presence at pool and early bracket games and much fewer on Sundays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01