Parent pitchers question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
We have had some pitchers pick up with us that are subs only/ not on a team. It’s a small sample size but outside of their pitching they seemed behind other players of the same age both in terms of hitting and defensive play. My conclusion was that team practices do make a difference- that’s what the sub only player doesn’t get.
Of course there’s lots of other possibilities- observation bias, random variation, impact of lack of comfort with the environment (not knowing teammates and coaches) on performance, and even pitchers who haven’t developed as much as batters and fielders getting less overall playing time and so becoming frustrated and leaving teams to be subs only…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good point.

My DD has always had a team, but when we're asked to pick up I often request (and it's always approved) to join their weekday practice. Just to get more practice, meet the girls, etc. Any practice she can get where I get to sit in a chair is great. :p

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Five pitchers at 16U sounds like at least 1 too many to me. Even on a strong team, it will be difficult to get a healthy number of innings with 5 pitchers. If you have a clear #1–and most good teams do—they are probably going to end up with at least 40% of the innings. That would leave about 60% to spread among 4 other pitchers…and it is unlikely to be distributed evenly.

I guess if the coaches knew that not all 5 pitchers would show up at each tournament, then the math could somehow work out.

I don’t know if I’d be willing to place my DD on a lower-level team to say, get, 50% or more of the innings. Great to get circle time, but sucks to have a defensive circus behind you and constantly lose games. Been there. I’d be pretty comfortable getting, say, 30% of the innings on a good team. DD is 18U and does not really have #1 stuff for the regional or lower-tier national level, but has been a consistent, reliable #2 or #3 (and reliever) and generally been satisfied with her pitching time. She's usually more pissed off about not being in the batting line up!🤣

Aug 5, 2022
If a team with 5 pitcher’s isn’t good enough to play multiple games on Sundays then you need a new team period. Time for a serious goal evaluation. 16u kids are on the clock. Most 2nd yr 16u kids are either 2024 or 2025 in birth year. The 2024s should either be already committed or have a good idea of what their options are and be having those conversations. Even though other divisions sign later than power 5 they are still heavily recruiting. The 25s are on the clock working to build that significant interest this summer to verbal in the next 12 mo. If your daughter isn’t getting inning’s because the top pitchers aren’t good enough to get you to Sunday then you need to go down a level. If she’s one of the top pitchers and you aren’t getting to Sunday because of errors etc then she needs new teammates. Either way she won’t get recruited if she can’t get seen.

Sep 28, 2021
If she is one of the top 1 or 2 pitchers on the team and you think she isn't getting enough time because the rest of the team isn't good enough (and the coach uses all 5 pitchers) then find a better team. Just be aware that if this is the case, and you choose to do that and she moves down the pitcher totem pole, she may be in the same boat.

Just out of curiosity, how many games/innings does she typically pitch during a tournament?
First half of the summer about 10%...last tournament of the season (6 games) she pitched one game(5innings) and relieved the last game (3 innings).

Sep 28, 2021
If a team with 5 pitcher’s isn’t good enough to play multiple games on Sundays then you need a new team period. Time for a serious goal evaluation. 16u kids are on the clock. Most 2nd yr 16u kids are either 2024 or 2025 in birth year. The 2024s should either be already committed or have a good idea of what their options are and be having those conversations. Even though other divisions sign later than power 5 they are still heavily recruiting. The 25s are on the clock working to build that significant interest this summer to verbal in the next 12 mo. If your daughter isn’t getting inning’s because the top pitchers aren’t good enough to get you to Sunday then you need to go down a level. If she’s one of the top pitchers and you aren’t getting to Sunday because of errors etc then she needs new teammates. Either way she won’t get recruited if she can’t get seen.

This is my main concern. It's time to be making college decisions. Seems when she pitches, they lose due to errors. Those defensive plays that seem to me easy, are missed.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Five pitchers at 16U sounds like at least 1 too many to me. Even on a strong team, it will be difficult to get a healthy number of innings with 5 pitchers. If you have a clear #1–and most good teams do—they are probably going to end up with at least 40% of the innings. That would leave about 60% to spread among 4 other pitchers…and it is unlikely to be distributed evenly.

I guess if the coaches knew that not all 5 pitchers would show up at each tournament, then the math could somehow work out.

I don’t know if I’d be willing to place my DD on a lower-level team to say, get, 50% or more of the innings. Great to get circle time, but sucks to have a defensive circus behind you and constantly lose games. Been there. I’d be pretty comfortable getting, say, 30% of the innings on a good team. DD is 18U and does not really have #1 stuff for the regional or lower-tier national level, but has been a consistent, reliable #2 or #3 (and reliever) and generally been satisfied with her pitching time. She's usually more pissed off about not being in the batting line up!🤣

It never really ever works out. When DD joined the team she plays on now, she was still "pitching", though was ready to quit the position but hadn't made the official decision. The team already had 4 pitchers and she would become the 5th. While very capable in the circle, she anchored 3B the entire season. Only seeing a handful of innings pitching the entire year. Of course, she wasn't bothered by it. The coach came to me one day and apologized, stating it was hard to divide innings across 5 pitchers and that he hated to pull her of 3B. No harm no foul. Still with the team and everyone is happy.

The coach still only carries 4 pitchers. 1-3 see regular rotation. #4 only in emergency or to eat some innings in pool play.

Nov 18, 2013

Aren’t most of the coaches gone by Sunday? They usually show up to watch players they’re in contact with and go to pool games where they know the schedule. Not sure how going to a lower team is supposed help with recruiting. Coaches don’t go to lower level games so even if they are still around on Sunday they won’t be watching a kid on a B team.

Didn’t know P5 kids signed earlier than other divisions. That must be new.

May 13, 2023
Aren’t most of the coaches gone by Sunday? They usually show up to watch players they’re in contact with and go to pool games where they know the schedule. Not sure how going to a lower team is supposed help with recruiting. Coaches don’t go to lower level games so even if they are still around on Sunday they won’t be watching a kid on a B team.

Didn’t know P5 kids signed earlier than other divisions. That must be new.
The interest for top players get scooped up quickly.
Not a new thing. As years past there was early recruitment that has since stopped.
However they are simply at the front of the
*Same *Line with everybody else within the recruitment policy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01