Parent Cheers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2020
NJ
I've only read page one.....I'm betting New Jersey

We play in NJ and I’ve never heard an opposing teams parents participate in the softball chants lol. We’ve gradually moved our 12u team away from them in favor of just cheering on their teammates.

Don’t get me started on cowbells. Had a parent break them out in response to the opposing team rattling them. When I yelled out no cowbells, I was treated with the obvious response of more cowbells?

In between games last year i was watching a game and made a comment to a woman standing next to me about cowbells. Turns out she was the parent of our next opponent and she broke out not a cowbell but a bullhorn.

May 29, 2015
Parent cheers might not be so bad - the more time spent mindlessly chanting means less time spent criticizing the umpires, coaches decisions, and every pitcher that's not their daughter.

Come on coach, what are you doing?!
My daughter's better, that girl's not even moving!

Homerun, triple, double!
Our coach just got us into trouble!

Coach, coach, where was it at?
Please put in a girl who can swing the bat!

Coach, coach, whatcha' gonna' do?
You left your daughter in and she's as fast as glue!

Coach's daughter, coach's daughter always the shortstop,
Except when she's pitching, always hits the backstop!

Our coach, our coach, don't understand dropped third strike,
Coaches the team like he's fallin' off a bike!

Our coach, our coach, he don't know the rules!
But he barks at the umpires, foams and drools!

Yeah, I think I'm getting a little too into this ...

May 29, 2015
I can't say I have ever encountered this until this past year ... yes, @flash277 ... the story of my worst game ever is coming and it involves THIS TOO. Strangely, I did not have an issue with the parents doing it. I had a bigger issue with the parents who had an issue with the other team's parents doing this.

I will say this: it could be cultural. As an umpire, to me the key is to pay attention to what is being done and how it is being done.

Personally, I was surprised I didn't have an issue with it in the game I am talking about. I am usually one who shuts down all the garbage (cowbells, drumsticks, inappropriately played music, derogatory or disruptive chants, etc.). In this case, the parents were singing and chanting and, from what I heard, it was all positive and was in favor of their team. There were none of the "louder when they pitch" shenanigans or derogatory things about the other team. It was a team of parents singing and cheering, celebrating and having a good time. I suppose I am too accustomed to it being a Mickey Mouse/bush league/in poor taste move from parents who don't know how to behave. In this case, it was not that. It was, in my opinion, actually pretty cool. The other team ... they didn't agree with that and it was definitely a cultural/race issue.

As for soccer's influence ... I was very surprised no vuvuzelas showed up in the dugouts after the fame they gained during the World Cup a few years back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13