Parent Cheers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
This past weekend there was a mom leading the cheers for the girls in the dugout of an opposing team DD's team was playing (10u) - and it was quite annoying. The girls were banging the fence on top of that and it got to even the ump, who at least stopped the fence banging. :)

Feb 14, 2019
So we're down at PGF this week and I was watching a game before ours started and what caught me by surprise is that the parents not only cheered, they chanted.....the same type of cheers that the players would chant. The one that caught my ear was the ear worm "way to foul it off big dog......woof." Is that common place for the teams back East?
That's not really something I'd want to participate in, personally (specifically talking about the chanting part), but if it helps their kids get pumped and keeps their energy up, why not? Some kids might really respond to that type of crowd involvement. I completely agree that it gets more cringe worthy the older the players are, though.

I definitely think there's a fine line between being supportive and being annoying...

Oct 29, 2019
Never heard that one.

In one of our last tournaments a team we played had a parent that rung a cowbell through the whole game and screamed insults at our players.... a 40 year old man hurling insults at 13 year old girls like he is attending a Eagles Vs. Cowboys football game.

Blue finally told him to stop after he made one of the girls cry and he left.

Sep 19, 2018
I am in the North East. I've never seen parents do coordinated cheers. I once ran into a coach leading the cheers from the dugout. I thought it was poor form. We, I beleive not coincedently, had a pre-game issue with practice space with that coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802