Parent Cheers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Mine recently ended. 15 years in Rec and Travel. Never.

I've found that parents start to get tired of hearing the same chants over and over and over at every tournament. Funny to think some of older kids actually want to participate.

The funny thing is DD's team has slowly stopped doing chants as they've gotten "older". She's only 13, but they pretty much stopped. It's just cheering and yelling from the dugout now.

Although "Taco, Burrito, but Nach-yo pitch" still pops into my head and gets stuck from time to time.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
This past weekend there was a mom leading the cheers for the girls in the dugout of an opposing team DD's team was playing (10u) - and it was quite annoying. The girls were banging the fence on top of that and it got to even the ump, who at least stopped the fence banging. :)

Nothing drives me more nuts than fence banging. We never allowed our girls to do it.

Nov 4, 2015
Nothing drives me more nuts than fence banging. We never allowed our girls to do it.

Fence banging is bad......but i REALLY hate the the drum sticks. I can't believe a coach would let his team keep those things. Cowbells should be outlawed as well. DD's team cheers each other on, but almost no coordinated cheers. Had a 16u team screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs with some weird chant as she was getting ready to throw the first pitch of a game. This was above and beyond a normal chant. She stepped off and she and the catcher had a good laugh at it. Other team realized it didn't bother her and it just sort of went away.

May 6, 2015
DDs team is 14u, and prior to one game at nationals, the girls asked the parents to do the "XXXXX rumble" with them. request came from the girls, hard to say no.

only other coordinated parent activity I have ever seen, DDS 2nd year 10u team, once of the coaches would tell the girls to "get loose" if he thought they were playing tight, and girls in response would wiggle arms and one leg around to signify they were getting loose, couple of times girls told the parents to get loose, so we wiggle our arms and one leg around (needed other to stand).

hate drumsticks and cowbells, at nationals one team's fans (not certain if parents or siblings), thankfully in different age bracket, were pounding aluminum bleachers with drum sticks, rattleing them around any type of closed opening (if that makes sense) for maximum obnoxiousnous. we all joked they were obviously here playing for a different championship than everybody else .. . . . the one for most obnoxious.

DDs team does some chants, but mostly it is just loud volume cheering and yelling, being supportive. love it. couple of times other teams have complained, but umps have repeatedly said, they are not banging on fence or bench, etc., they are not changing during windup, they are just loud. of course after one occasion of this, they got louder.

Aug 13, 2020
I’ve seen two different high school teams still doing chants. One team just sorta quietly said the usual chants. We were beating this team a lot to nothing so hearing them cheer eachother on with the chants was a little weird but also sorta motivating to see how supportive they all were. The other team was just insanity. This team was screaming at the top of their lungs and using those drumstick things to bang on the fences while our pitcher was pitching. We were beating this team but it was a pretty close game. You could tell they were trying to mess up our pitcher and hitters. Whenever our pitcher was about to throw a pitch the team would start screaming louder and start jumping around like wild animals. Eventually the umpire had to step in and get them all to stop. That was probably the worst game I’ve ever been to.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DDs team is 14u, and prior to one game at nationals, the girls asked the parents to do the "XXXXX rumble" with them. request came from the girls, hard to say no.

only other coordinated parent activity I have ever seen, DDS 2nd year 10u team, once of the coaches would tell the girls to "get loose" if he thought they were playing tight, and girls in response would wiggle arms and one leg around to signify they were getting loose, couple of times girls told the parents to get loose, so we wiggle our arms and one leg around (needed other to stand).

hate drumsticks and cowbells, at nationals one team's fans (not certain if parents or siblings), thankfully in different age bracket, were pounding aluminum bleachers with drum sticks, rattleing them around any type of closed opening (if that makes sense) for maximum obnoxiousnous. we all joked they were obviously here playing for a different championship than everybody else .. . . . the one for most obnoxious.

DDs team does some chants, but mostly it is just loud volume cheering and yelling, being supportive. love it. couple of times other teams have complained, but umps have repeatedly said, they are not banging on fence or bench, etc., they are not changing during windup, they are just loud. of course after one occasion of this, they got louder.

I'm all for it if players initiate it with the parents. Whether that be helping with a chant or "getting loose" with a wiggle. Just odd to think parents of 16u kids would begin a chant all on their own. I've always felt that the chanting was an on the field player thing. Anyone behind the fence doesn't fit into that definition (despite what some parents may think - lol). Maybe just me.

We've been fortunate. Only one game with an opposing team having a cow bell. No drum sticks thank goodness.

As far as team's chanting..... whether they are 8u or 18u.... you do you in those cases. If the girls want to chant to support teammates then go for it.

Banging fences, screaming, drum sticks, whatever to distract hitters/pitchers.....not okay with. We faced a few teams that would do it. I never wanted us to be "that team".

Nov 8, 2020
That would most certainly be grounds for leaving the team.

There's a pretty big organization in So Cal that's parents do a cheer at the end of games....sends douche chills down the spine.

The whole, conformist, let's all chant the exact same thing nonsense is probably my least favorite thing about softball... and why I like Big League Dreams games to games anywhere else because I can watch the games from the bar, with a michelada, and not hear the singing from the dugouts that by the second inning is more annoying than Cicadas.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802