Orange base question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
This came up during a recent rules discussion between games.

R1 gets a big lead on the pitch. C tries to pick her off. She gets back in plenty of time and 1B does not tag her. However she stumbles as she tries to slow her momentum and winds up only touching orange base and then 1B tags her. Is she out according to ASA, UTrip, NCAA?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert on the rules, so I will let more qualified posters give you an official answer, but it is my understanding that the orange safety bag is only used for running home to 1B, so the runner should be out if they lost contact with the regular white bag and were tagged by the fielder with the ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The double base is only in use for a play on a batter runner. On a play on a runner, the entire 15" x 30" base is available to defense and offense for any and all plays.

flarays

Stingrays Gold
Mar 20, 2013
Sunny Orlando Florida
Safe

ASA 8.2.M.8 On an attempted pick-off play, the runner may return to the white or colored portion of the base.

Can you post the actual link to the portion of the rule you have here? I can't find the verbiage you have here. I like to have these interpretations printed off in case it comes up.

Feb 3, 2011
Can you post the actual link to the portion of the rule you have here? I can't find the verbiage you have here. I like to have these interpretations printed off in case it comes up.

For 2014, the ASA rule is now 8.2.M.9 and the only difference between what smddad posted and what the book has is that the ASA rule book uses 'contrasting color' instead of 'colored'.

It's on page 87.

If you're looking at a 2013 rule book, it's still 8.2.M.8 and is on page 86.

Mar 13, 2010
This came up during a recent rules discussion between games.

R1 gets a big lead on the pitch. C tries to pick her off. She gets back in plenty of time and 1B does not tag her. However she stumbles as she tries to slow her momentum and winds up only touching orange base and then 1B tags her. Is she out according to ASA, UTrip, NCAA?

Other other posters have referenced the ASA rule, USSSA is the same, the double base is not used in NCAA softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer