offspeed, change speed targets and technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
I have a 14U pitcher, top end speed 55-56, average real speed in a game 53-54. She has a nice change that is 36-38 or basically 15-16 Mph off her normal fastball. Excellent control and consistency and has solid ( ie game usable control on the movement pitches)....So trying to take her to finding a good offspeed pitch to develop her further.

1. I have been aiming for a 8-10mph off speed - so for her 43-44. Is this a good target? if not what would you suggest?

2. We started to try to develop an off speed drop ( fastball grip with index finger tucked with flat of finger nail on ball, basically a peel release with a low finish rotating over the top of the ball). I picked this up from a nancy evans video.
Anyhow bless her first few were bullseyes at 44. Then 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 as she got comfortable with the grip and topped out there. Well minus 3-5 was just a slow fast ball not a off speed.

(her regular drop is a rollover (despite rick pauleys advice! but thanks to his hinge) and nasty, fast and way more consistent than she could ever get with a peel...))

SO suggestions on the above offspeed technique? alternatives ?

thanks

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
What type of CU is she using now? You mentioned she throws a rollover drop. I think a good complimentary CU to a pitcher that throws a lot of drops is the "backhand" CU. Someone may call it something different. My DD throws a lot of drops and this CU works great for her. Depending on how much spin she puts on the ball coming out of the back of her hand determines the speed. Depending on what type of CU she is throwing and what her primary pitch is may determine what someone would recommend. Good luck!

Dec 7, 2011
I have a 14U pitcher, top end speed 55-56, average real speed in a game 53-54. She has a nice change that is 36-38 or basically 15-16 Mph off her normal fastball. Excellent control and consistency and has solid ( ie game usable control on the movement pitches)....So trying to take her to finding a good offspeed pitch to develop her further.

1. I have been aiming for a 8-10mph off speed - so for her 43-44. Is this a good target? if not what would you suggest?

2. We started to try to develop an off speed drop ( fastball grip with index finger tucked with flat of finger nail on ball, basically a peel release with a low finish rotating over the top of the ball). I picked this up from a nancy evans video.
Anyhow bless her first few were bullseyes at 44. Then 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 as she got comfortable with the grip and topped out there. Well minus 3-5 was just a slow fast ball not a off speed.

(her regular drop is a rollover (despite rick pauleys advice! but thanks to his hinge) and nasty, fast and way more consistent than she could ever get with a peel...))

thanks

Just before DD went off to college and got all "reset", .....when I was semi-in-charge of DD's pitch types,..... I was hugely thrilled with how the off-speed-peel (OSP) was coming along for DD. As many of you 16-18U parents know, at TB-A level at these ages the plain-ole change can be reset and hammered by good hitters. When DD had the rise and the OSP working it was a heavenly moment. Angels would sing. Batters would cry..... (problem was the OSP was not supported by TB & HS and I was only able to sneak it in there a couple games where I pleaded with her and it was "On". But I am sure with some dedication to this pitch type arsenal I would have been in pitching-dad-heaven.

DD's OSP was effectively a palmed peel drop - at 45 to 47 mph. Put that on the outside corner and it was 90% watched for 3rd strike or lame swung-missed.

I can't wait to get a pitching granddaughter!!!!!!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would recommend learning a slurve ball. It is a slow curve and just by picking up one or two knuckles on the ball she should be able to take 8-10 MPH off her regular curve ball. My DD is out to dinner with friend - when she gets back I will get a picture of her regular curve and her slurve ball grip for demonstration.

Dec 20, 2012
^^^^^^ That is exactly what I was thinking. Is a very good 3rd speed that has some movement.

off crv 2.jpgoff crv.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012

thanks

Don't be so quick to pass up a -3 to -5 off speed. That is just enough to get a long second strike. The more speeds she can utilize the more a good hitter has to think. Now go against a kid that does not reason to herself what the pitcher is attempting to do and all bets are off.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
i do not understand my pitchers are not allowed to use a pitch that has been good for them. a lot of coaches seem to like playing square pegs and just keep trying to hammer it in there. if a pitcher, and her coach and/or father/mother told me she had a good pitch of a certain type, i would go to the well until proven wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06