Never leave the door open!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
The edit was more of a joke that didn't go anywhere.

As a follow up to this however, yes DD started the game 1 yesterday of a DH against a nationally ranked team. Got 3 ABs, went 1-3. Game went extra innings and she was removed for the senior. Long story short, senior went hitless and had an error that ended up being the game losing run. Game 2, senior started, went hitless with 2 strikeouts, and again had an error that ended up being the game losing run.

Another DH today. Senior gets the start. Another lesson,... sometime you can't do anything to change a coaches mind. DD is hitting over .50 points higher and fielding percentage is .50 points higher and by any measure, DD is way more athletic, yet....?

A head scratcher.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_20220410-104000_Chrome.jpg
Since you didn't mention what college it is your daughter is playing for and we can't really look at everybody else's stats and game appearances. Its a guess the coach is probably using more information she has about the senior, and those reasons, than she does about your daughter as a freshman and her one or two game appearances.

Definitely It's understandable to get excited about your daughter getting to play... it's unfortunate that the circumstance was somebody else forgot their uniform.

Sometimes a door being open for one player is really a lesson for another player. Not necessarily a roster change. It's just a little of hand slap to teach the senior a lesson.
Light a fire under them kinda thing...

Generally coaches have a bigger plan they are working than what parents might organize in they're hopes.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
I don't disagree the coach has 'his plan' and fully understand that its choice to do so. I can still disagree. The results and stats definitely don't support the choice. DD has played in 17 games and started 11. That should be enough to see it isn't just beginner's luck.

The original post was made because it certainly seemed that DD was frozen out for the season and then wormed her way back in because the senior goofed up. I felt that was humorous.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't disagree the coach has 'his plan' and fully understand that its choice to do so. I can still disagree. The results and stats definitely don't support the choice. DD has played in 17 games and started 11. That should be enough to see it isn't just beginner's luck.

The original post was made because it certainly seemed that DD was frozen out for the season and then wormed her way back in because the senior goofed up. I felt that was humorous.
Ok. You want your daughter starting over the senior. Still it appears she is playing 17 games. Good for her!

Imagine over the course of years there are tons of parents sharing your experience about wanting their kid to be the starter.

Perhaps that will be of some comfort.🙂

That wasn't the first 'oops I forgot something in my gear bag story' I've heard disrupting lineups. But at least that story isn't the only reason your daughter has gotten on the field!!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015

Did the team play last year? And how much did they play in 2020?

I'm thinking most coaches are heavily favoring seniors this year, esp if they've decided not to take the extra year (or two) and are moving on with their lives post-softball.

Your DD has 3+ years left to play. Seniors might have 3-4 weeks.

Feb 1, 2021
Did the team play last year? And how much did they play in 2020?

I'm thinking most coaches are heavily favoring seniors this year, esp if they've decided not to take the extra year (or two) and are moving on with their lives post-softball.

Your DD has 3+ years left to play. Seniors might have 3-4 weeks.

Certainly possible. Thats all we can think of as well.

The team played a full season last year. This senior had less than 15 ABs total in 2.5 season before this season and had never started a game. She didn't even play DDs position until this year so it's not like she was an establish talent.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes