NCAA D1 Softball Update--April 30, 2012

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think there is alot of player talent in the SEC area. Problem is the coaching has not caught up to the west yet. Just in my DD's playing time I have seen colleges of all sizes recruiting more locally ( region and state wise ). I'll use maxpreps to see the up and coming stars and stat leaders. Look at how many SEC state "HS players" are in the top #20 in the nation.

National Softball ERA Leaders - MaxPreps

National Softball Strikeouts Leaders - MaxPreps

National Softball Stolen Base Leaders - MaxPreps

National Softball Fielding Leaders - MaxPreps

In no way am I trying to discredit any of the leaders, but in general I trust the Max Prep statistics as far as I can throw the paper they're printed on. My opinion is based the understanding that 1) the stats are coach entered and there's no control over the uniformity and consistency of scorekeeping 2) many of the top teams in my area (CT) don't update the stats so their out of conference opponents don't have a scouting report, and 3) reviewing the Maxprep stat for teams in my area and observing numerous inconsistencies i.e., many teams have more stolen bases than stolen base attempts; high BAs and OBAs w/ 0 ROEs and the same team typically has an ERA with >50% of runs against being unearned. In other words, garbage in, garbage out. This may be the case only in my area, which isn't necessarily a top D1 training ground, but.... My bottom line, I don't need stats to recognize a good player when I see one.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In no way am I trying to discredit any of the leaders, but in general I trust the Max Prep statistics as far as I can throw the paper they're printed on. My opinion is based the understanding that 1) the stats are coach entered and there's no control over the uniformity and consistency of scorekeeping 2) many of the top teams in my area (CT) don't update the stats so their out of conference opponents don't have a scouting report, and 3) reviewing the Maxprep stat for teams in my area and observing numerous inconsistencies i.e., many teams have more stolen bases than stolen base attempts; high BAs and OBAs w/ 0 ROEs and the same team typically has an ERA with >50% of runs against being unearned. In other words, garbage in, garbage out. This may be the case only in my area, which isn't necessarily a top D1 training ground, but.... My bottom line, I don't need stats to recognize a good player when I see one.

Yes you have to know what to look for in the stats, you have to "keep" up with them too or it's pointless. ( I see schools who miss games and then enter current ones, what good does that do? )

I can't speak for other states but I can usually navigate pretty good in ours and see BS rather quickly. We've either played with or against the best around here so the names stick in your mind. Like the Fadnek girl who #2 in the country on strike outs, I believe it because she is a great pitcher. The Albritton girl who is #9 in strikeouts must be pretty accurate because my DD pitched against her 3 weeks ago ( at a HS tourney ) and Albritton is very good.

The Nunley girl who is #8 in the country on ERA, she is a beast as well. Worst part is they are in our division at state, and that's one huge hill to climb over. Think her school is #67 in the country.

But I sure will agree with you on some can be doctored. This Hoskins girl in NC ( #1 ERA ) has given up 70 runs and none were earned? Yea right!! :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I like the girl who is 13-5 with 0.00 ERA. 5 losses with a 0.00 ERA, really? That's either some terrible defense they have or some hometown cooked books to make all the run un-earned. 70 un-earned runs and not a single earned one? LOL

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yes you have to know what to look for in the stats, you have to "keep" up with them too or it's pointless. ( I see schools who miss games and then enter current ones, what good does that do? )

I can't speak for other states but I can usually navigate pretty good in ours and see BS rather quickly. We've either played with or against the best around here so the names stick in your mind. Like the Fadnek girl who #2 in the country on strike outs, I believe it because she is a great pitcher. The Albritton girl who is #9 in strikeouts must be pretty accurate because my DD pitched against her 3 weeks ago ( at a HS tourney ) and Albritton is very good.

The Nunley girl who is #8 in the country on ERA, she is a beast as well. Worst part is they are in our division at state, and that's one huge hill to climb over. Think her school is #67 in the country.

But I sure will agree with you on some can be doctored. This Hoskins girl in NC ( #1 ERA ) has given up 70 runs and none were earned? Yea right!! :)

How bout this team!

ERA .00
ER 0
RUNS 133
IP 68
W 6
L 6

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members