Military Move coming up. If you could put your DD in any state? Where would it be?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
If your in IL you can always hook up with the Beverly bandits program....06 team took 5th at PGF last yr.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You can't just "hook up" with the Beverly Bandits. Bill will come looking for his DD if she is talented enough and catches his eye. They only have tryouts for the 10U team. All the other teams Bill makes the roster changes at the end of each season to better the program as he sees fit. It's been working for him so far, so I don't see anything changing soon.

May 29, 2019
Long Baller,

Yeah, HS is not the important aspect but I am old school and feel if you can contribute to your HS team, you should play for your HS. Oklahoma is the concern with Volleyball as her second sport and both in same season.

Keep in mind this is all hypothetical...lol. These are top choices and I have a good chance to end up there, but the Air Force is going to put where they need me. So, yes could end up in NE or IL, but I do have some pull. I will definitely post where we end up sometime in Dec/Jan and we will be leaving after PGF 2020.

It sounds like Houston is basically a hot bed and is equivalent to "Socal" for us here in California.
Ok, here is my crazy hypothetical...Laugh if will :ROFLMAO:
I'd go to Wright Patterson in Ohio. There are some HS teams in central/southern Ohio that compete for the state championship every year. There are a couple of good travel orgs central/southern Ohio and Indiana. If your kid is a stud, the Beverly Bandits are close enough to make it work. The Bandits are absolutely one of the best organizations in the entire country. The cost of living in that part of the country is just soooooo much cheaper than the West Coast. You can spend the $10K/year on travel softball and not have to eat bologna sandwiches for dinner every night to afford it. :ROFLMAO:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Lots of good softball opportunities in Texas and Oklahoma. If you look at the current OU roster, nearly half came from Oklahoma. I read somewhere that OU has a pretty good softball team. Check out their bios and see who they played for.

The orgs you mention all put lots of kids into college ball. I'm not sure what your deal is with dad coaches, but some of the best travel teams I've seen are coached by a parent. At 16/18U, pretenders don't survive for long, regardless of gender, background, parental status, or location. From what I've seen, a younger ex-player is typically found coaching younger age groups, and older ex-players get coaching gigs in HS and college. All of the female ex-player travel ball coaches that I know of coach both a high school varsity team AND have their kids on their travel team. I guess that's "mommy ball"? It takes time and money to be a coach of a travel team, and even if you get paid, it may not even cover expenses. Therefore, you get people with day jobs, kids who play, and a whole lot of desire for extra trouble in their lives.

BTW...If your DD is that good, she doesn't have to play 12U.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Since your DD's softball career will last, at best, until she is 22, and her education will last until she "shuffles off her mortal coil": Go for the place with the best school systems, which would be in the Northeast: Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc.

I agree 100% with the sentiment, but states don't have school systems. Good and bad districts can be found in every state, and often good and bad schools within each district. Personally, I'd rather open a vein than send my kids to a school anywhere near the Northeast, with the possible exception of New Hampshire.

Apr 20, 2015
You can't just "hook up" with the Beverly Bandits. Bill will come looking for his DD if she is talented enough and catches his eye. They only have tryouts for the 10U team. All the other teams Bill makes the roster changes at the end of each season to better the program as he sees fit. It's been working for him so far, so I don't see anything changing soon.
Ha ha yeah I know that....I just meant if she's that good then there is a solid 06 national level option in the midwest if the midwest is an option for his career.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for replies so far. Yes my move is limited to those areas, but just a general question where would you guys pick for your kid as well.

Cannonball- absolutely nothing with men as coaches, I just see it as a question I cant find an answer to when I look at oklahoma teams /roster and see almost all males/dads.

This is great input everyone. Thanks!
Hey, welcome to the site and I was just having fun. Thus the post about Illinois. I would have struck out on another front as well since I am a dad who coached their dd in HS. Thank goodness all of those girls overcame that coaching. LOL Good luck with finding the right fit. I know it is hard to know what the best move is but, and speaking as a teacher, don't leave out the school's reputation for academics.

May 31, 2018
Thanks for all the input, and yes of course the schools come first. she is in a 9/10 school here in Monterey and 3.9 GPA on student council but just looking for softball insight. sorry touched a nerve with Daddy ball. lol. Not always bad, I get it. I will post where we go and find out soon.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Thanks for all the input, and yes of course the schools come first. she is in a 9/10 school here in Monterey and 3.9 GPA on student council but just looking for softball insight. sorry touched a nerve with Daddy ball. lol. Not always bad, I get it. I will post where we go and find out soon.

Ratings tell a story, but it usually isn't a complete one. School ratings more reflect the strength of the socio-economic background of the student body rather than whether there are teachers who can do their job. You'll find better rated schools in most suburban locations, and even in the ones that look mediocre on paper, you can usually find a program that will fit the needs of a serious student. Despite the averages that go into those ratings, my kids have great test scores and admission letters to every university they've applied to...all of which you've likely heard of. More importantly, there's substantial academic money backing those offers. All are STEM majors. This, despite going to a HS that rates average overall in a state that no one mentions in the same sentence as "great schools". That HS essentially operates two educational tracks: one for the serious, and one for those just trying to get by. Further, what happens at home is at least as important as what happens in the classroom. Best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28