Mask or No Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I will say that on our team at least, every kid who turn their head have masks on. Every single one.
up to and including the u16 level I have seen the exact opposite to be true. the kids who turn their heads don't even realize they do it and insist that they do not. up to and including the U18 level, they also wait for the ball to come to them and do not charge the ball. again, they don't realize what they are not doing.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
You must not get out much...

I have seen competent MIs with masks on. Never saw one going D1 and all the SS that I have admired for their play where very aggressive, charging balls, coming forward on every pitch. Just saying.

As for not turning the head with a mask on, this has to be taught to Catchers. You bounce balls off their mask until they can keep their head forward. They have to know it will protect them otherwise they turn their heads on throws home that go in the dirt. Who does this to kids playing the infield?

Not every poster here views this through the same prism. If you are coming from a 10U perspective that will be very different from someone in the last year of 18U or even late years of college.

Dec 19, 2012
They are not mandated on any firearm, and for good reason not typically found on handguns. So in the context of this thread a moot point.

Someone was saying that they never heard of a safety switch. All I was doing was explaining that a "safety switch" is the same as a "safety". I have a few handguns and about 1/3 of them have some sort of safety mechanism.

Dec 19, 2012
I guess you feel the same about mandatory use of catcher's gear, car seat belt laws and safety switches on hand guns should be a right left up to the parent to decide what is best for their children?

RT, you like your guns and you probably have your CCW. Do you carry or own guns without a safety mechanism?

May 12, 2016
up to and including the u16 level I have seen the exact opposite to be true. the kids who turn their heads don't even realize they do it and insist that they do not. up to and including the U18 level, they also wait for the ball to come to them and do not charge the ball. again, they don't realize what they are not doing.

Not only do they turn their heads and not charge the ball, they also pull up prematurely instead of watching the ball into their glove. This results in a lot of balls going under the glove. It also appears that these kids are afraid of the ball... not a good impression to make.

You have to careful not generalize here, I have seen kids with masks on be afraid of the ball, same as kids with out masks. However I have never seen a kid with a mask who is afraid of the ball, take off their mask and no longer be afraid. I can say the exact opposite for kids are afraid without a mask. I've seen in many case kids put a mask on and no longer be afraid which improves their game big time. This applies to all positions, not just the pitcher and hot corners.

It pissed me off when I hear some parent commenting on a kid wearing a mask in this or that position when their kid is afraid to get in front of a ball or charge it

Feb 7, 2013
Oh and bats aren't getting hotter and the strike zone is getting bigger.

Let's not speculate here but instead look at hard facts and see if we see a trend here (NCAA D1):

Team Batting Average: .287 *record
Team Scoring: 4.82 *record
Home Runs Per Game: .77 *record
Team ERA: 4.13

Team Batting Average: .260
Team Scoring: 3.72
Home Runs Per Game: .52
Team ERA: 2.92

Team Batting Average: .252
Team Scoring: 3.41
Home Runs Per Game: .32
Team ERA: 2.44