Ditched Mask - You Make The Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
I watched a bizarre play unfold tonight at a Kentucky high school game. I will preface the scenario by saying that they require a few positions to wear a fielding mask...

Batter hits a foul ball near the third base dugout. Third baseman tosses her mask to the side and proceeds to catch the ball for the third out. Coach proceeds to question the call as players get ready for the next half inning. Umpire warns the coach and he heads back to his dugout. I am fairly confident the umpires in this scenario got it wrong... "and [batter] shall return to the plate and the play shall be treated as a foul ball."

Ever seen anything like this?

Apr 12, 2015
What was the umpires call? An out? In that case, the umpire got it wrong according to the Kentucky rules. Its outlined pretty clearly in the case situations:

1684899595070.png

Feb 7, 2014
What was the umpires call? An out? In that case, the umpire got it wrong according to the Kentucky rules. Its outlined pretty clearly in the case situations:

View attachment 27993
Yes, the umpire's call was "out." And after the coach questioned the call because of the mask he stated the call a second time.

I thought the coach handled himself well considering the circumstances.

May 29, 2015
Never seen anything like that. I believe it is a well-intended and seriously misplaced rule.

Facemasks were a question on the NFHS survey this year ... :oops:

Jun 20, 2015
KY is requiring certain players to wear mask?? Masks that have no standard or certification of any kind???? Good luck with that lawsuit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee