Mallory Hitting Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2014
Gang, my name is Don.

Here is a link to an unlisted video of my daughter hitting. She is 13 (8th grade) playing on a 16U showcase team. This is a six minute clip of several different scenarios (BP, Game). I posted a video primarily of her swing and misses because I think there is a lot to be learned from the mistakes. She hits doubles and hits the warning track a lot. Most of her hits are in the middle 1/3 of the field. She catches and plays inf.

Thanks for the help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUP8BHH3xqk&list=UUmcpLEASAcrZL1Y1Xdzhfpw

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Gang, my name is Don.

Here is a link to an unlisted video of my daughter hitting. She is 13 (8th grade) playing on a 16U showcase team. This is a six minute clip of several different scenarios (BP, Game). I posted a video primarily of her swing and misses because I think there is a lot to be learned from the mistakes. She hits doubles and hits the warning track a lot. Most of her hits are in the middle 1/3 of the field. She catches and plays inf.

Thanks for the help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUP8BHH3xqk&list=UUmcpLEASAcrZL1Y1Xdzhfpw

I like the use of bringing the pitching machine out on the field.

The hitter should take the time to observe the flight of each ball. The path of the ball never lies. Learn from it. You want line-drives. Mistakes in terms of grounders or fly-balls with too much air will happen and should be 50/50 (not a dominance of grounders or a dominance of fly-balls). In other words, you want something like 50% line-drives with 25% grounders and 25% too much air.

When I do this I use a pitching screen … as many girls use the pitcher for target practice.

The frequency of squaring balls needs to improve IMO. Having that many non-squared balls during BP should be considered unacceptable. Ask yourself what you need to do to square the ball more frequently …. Which should be an ongoing battle and the reason you want to observe the result of each swing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
PCqRFc.gif

dKyu1T.gif

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If you really want to take the red pill, start by looking at her swings and the swings of the best hitters in the world. Don't look at the fine details, but try to get into each video and feel the swing. Feel the energy flow and direction of energy flow. Feel what is different.
mall_zpsrgz1gf4q.gif

springer_zpsfaf403a0.gif
Votto_Hands.gif

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Trying to post the video in the thread.

As I have argued before, the tendency with most hitters I've seen is that they miss under the ball or miss-hit (pop-up) by hitting too low on the ball. I saw a lot of this in this clip, just like I here.

If there were one think I could correct in hitters it would be getting them to stop missing by swinging under the ball and stop miss-hitting by hitting too low on the ball.

May 3, 2014
Serious question.

If you play the male hitter in quicktime - do you really want to be in the same position he is in at frame 29? Do you see any real hip action or just a big looking boy swinging with his upper body folding over his front hip? Is this a model swing? Or is it meant to show something specific?

Steven021613a.gif
mall_zpsrgz1gf4q.gif

Can you 'feel' the differences in the 2 swings....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez