Maintaining the Integrity of the Game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
I watched the Detroit replays last night and in slow motion it is clear that the 1st base ump blew the call. Bad call, missed calls and blown calls are as much a part of sports as are good calls, great calls and correct calls. For baseball to go back and reconsider reversing the call takes away a fundamental principle of sports. Rules are never perfect but you have to enforce them as written until they are revised. As a Charger fan the blown Ed Hochuli call in the Broncos game a couple of years ago was horrible. BUT the rules were written in such a way that what he ruled on the field was a legal call. What are the boards thought on MLB reconsidering revising the call? My personal thoughts is it is great for the pitcher but undermines the integrity of the sport.

May 25, 2010
If he'd corrected himself at the time, cool. But he thought he saw the runner beat the throw, and that's what he called.

There is no video replay in MLB.

The ump and MLB can admit the mistake, but cannot amend the record books.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If they are going to do this, they need to give the St. Louis Cardinals the 1985 World Series Championship as well.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Unfortunately for the pitcher, I think the call should stand because it was a "judgment" call. Some are comparing this to the George Brett pine tar incident where they replayed the game and allowed the home run, but that issue involved more of a ruling and not a judgment call. In general, I think umpiring errors happen and some times it goes for you and sometimes against you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The umpire is just sick over this mistake. If there is any way that the call can be corrected, I am sure that it will.

In my book, it was a perfect game anyway.

I am not certain that anyone is asking that the call be reversed, but I am watching softball this morning.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
To their credit, Armando Gallaraga did not complain about the call and Jim Joyce later admitted he made a mistake. That more than anything maintains the integrety and honor of the game. This wil be the most famous perfect/imperfect game ever, either way.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
It was a huge mistake, Jim Joyce will probably be lynched
next time he goes to Detroit. Mistake in judgement is a part of the game.
Jim Joyce feels worse than anyone in the game besides Bill Buckner

Mar 15, 2010
Selig just announced the call will stand and not be reversed or revised. While I hate to see a perfect game go down as a 1 hitter in the books I agree with his decision to maintain the integrity of the game.

Dec 28, 2008
One of my favorite sayings is from the movie Cool Runnings where John Candy's character says "If you aren't enough without it, you'll never be enough with it." Being in the record book itself probably means nothing to Gallaraga, he has the video, and knows he pitched a Perfect Game.

Now if his contract has a huge bonus stipulated for something like a Perfect Game then the team better do the right thing. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan