machines vs. ball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I've seen parents push. Some were athletes themselves and others were not, that are now living some dream through their kids. I'm not sure one is better then the other. If i think a parent is pushing to hard, i tell them so. I've seen girls tell their fathers they are tired, but they keep pushing. When my daughter says she is tired, i beleive her, i know the feeling because i went through it too.

I think part of any parents job is to push their kids to be the best they can be and to develop strong work ethics. There is nothing wrong with that. Would you agree that we don't let our kids get lazy and get subpar grades in school or slip in thier household duties? Face it, if we let them kids will walk all over us and never do an ounce of work. Where's the fun in that?

Now this is not to say it is okay to live your dreams through your kids. But when my daughter tells me she wants to the the best pitcher she can be but she would rather play her Nintendo than go out in the yard and work on her game, do I push her out the door to work on her game? You bet. Not a thing wrong with that in my opinion. Not only that, I think we have an obligation to help our kids discover their true limits. Look I know when my kid is being lazy and trying to BS me. A good parent calls their kids on it. So, yeah we push. Just so long as dd is still having fun and wants to play the game we will push her to do it right - just like anything else in her life.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
I think part of any parents job is to push their kids to be the best they can be and to develop strong work ethics. There is nothing wrong with that. Would you agree that we don't let our kids get lazy and get subpar grades in school or slip in thier household duties? Face it, if we let them kids will walk all over us and never do an ounce of work. Where's the fun in that?

Now this is not to say it is okay to live your dreams through your kids. But when my daughter tells me she wants to the the best pitcher she can be but she would rather play her Nintendo than go out in the yard and work on her game, do I push her out the door to work on her game? You bet. Not a thing wrong with that in my opinion. Not only that, I think we have an obligation to help our kids discover their true limits. Look I know when my kid is being lazy and trying to BS me. A good parent calls their kids on it. So, yeah we push. Just so long as dd is still having fun and wants to play the game we will push her to do it right - just like anything else in her life.

That's a little different then the type of pushing i'm talking about........If a kid doesn't want to play the sport any more (any activity really) why make her do it? If a girl doesn't want to pitch any more, why make her? Thats the type of pushing i'm talking about. A kid is either motivated to do something, or they are not, its that simple really. Why do parents ruin their relationship with their kids because of it is beyond me. As an example, my daughter and i throw every day because after her shoulder injury, we had to learn how to throw again. She is back about 90% of the big arm she had prior. Anyhow, i go home and grab our mitts and she said, i really don't wann throw today...........i put the mitts back and her and i made dinner together for the family.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd