loading the pitch/wind up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My question is: Are they successful because of their open back swing or in spite of it? Said another way, could they have been better pitchers and even more successful by hiding the grip like most elite men pitchers such Adam Folkard and Bill Hillhouse? My Dd used to do the double arm backswing, then I tried to switch her to hide the ball in her glove like BH with a cradled back swing. She lost some velocity but I think it had more to do with the change in timing and not used to the little to no back swing with the hands to the same side. Now she still keeps both hands to the right side but her pitching arm will go back in the back swing, partially hidden by the glove but not completely (similar to Ueno in that respect).
Can't answer definitively, but I am fond of Ueno's style.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Carly makes a valid point as to the leg involvement. Her timing is weight transfer back during the arms back swing, once the arms stop the upswing, the drive knee and waist will bend and the arms will help create momentum out towards the catcher.

I think that's backwards. Body goes forward when the arms start the rearward swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad