Little League All-Star roster questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
roster questions

On the Affidavit you can have up to 14 players. I wan't to play 13 in the games due to the coach in the dugout rule but can I add a 14th just in case and have her not show up in uniform if the other 13 are confirmed to play? I mean can she show up to the games and watch not wearing her uniform without getting the team in trouble? I searched the rules and can't figure it out. They clearly state no alternates but this would be a rostered player who is not dressing to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Let me get this straight. You pick 14 girls for your team but you pull one of the girls aside and say, "sorry honey, i know you (and your parents) paid for all-stars and I expect you to come to every practice, but I will not allow you to sit with your team or even put on your uniform during games. We may or may not need you but just in case we'll keep you around".

Maybe you have not shared all of the facts with us, but my first reaction is that I would never let my DD within 1000 yards of this team. You don't need to search the rules, common sense and decency should prevail.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I can say that this would not fly with a lot of parents, honestly. I don't see this happening and I wouldn't want to be a part of something like this.

For local rec games, if we are short on players (we can play 10, but if we only have 9 for the night) we'll ask a 13U girl to hang around in case someone is hurt. Usually this would be someone who would have stayed around regardless. We're happy to have her with us and she's glad to be around, if needed. However, she doesn't have to pay a ton of money, drive miles to tournaments, and all of that hoopla to not even play!

Your situation is unreasonable.

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry I guess I should expand on this. We had tryouts and 13 girls made the team. I would like to offer a 14th girl the chance to practice with the team and improve so they would know upfront that she is not really on the team. She played at a lower level this year than all of the girls who made the team so it would be a great opportunity for her...kind of like 2 weeks of free softball camp. If it is legal I would like to add her to the affidavit so she would get a chance to play if one of the other girls couldn't make it. If not then she would just practice with us.

Jan 20, 2010
Im not a big fan of All Stars. at least not for young girls, it takes away the team mentality. we opted out. you could draw straws!

This will be a good team that will compete for state (10u). 8 of the 13 play travel and 2 more are good enough. They are all excited because this is where they all started and they all looked up to the girls who made all-stars. I would say they are more excited about this all-star tournament than their travel tournaments.

As for the 14th player...I think she could be really good and if I can keep her as a practice/sub I think it might help her to a travel ball career.

Jun 3, 2010
We have had alternates before in our league that practiced but did not play. They had an all star uniform and seemed to be just as happy if they were in the 12 that were going to be in the dugout.

Asking her to show up in street clothes and not be in the dugout with the rest of the team is ridiculous. As a parent, I would expect that she go and be in uniform. She can be the biggest cheerleader on the bench, but should be allowed to be in the dugout (dressed out) with the rest of the team. Just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2010
Asking her to show up in street clothes and not be in the dugout with the rest of the team is ridiculous. As a parent, I would expect that she go and be in uniform. She can be the biggest cheerleader on the bench, but should be allowed to be in the dugout (dressed out) with the rest of the team. Just my opinion.

I would love to do that but they have minimum play requirements for eligible players on the bench.

...they would know upfront that she is not really on the team.

What exactly does that mean? I mean, c'mon...you're talking about 10u? I hate to rant, but the more I think about it, the uglier it sounds. How would you like it if a coach came to you and basically said your daughter wasn't good enough the first go to make the team, but you want her there anyway? Free softball clinic? Really? Where we are, it is expensive to be on the all star team. I would imagine if her parents (and the player) are interested in furthering her career, they would get her private instruction. As a parent, I wouldn't waste my time, nor my daughter's, going back and forth to practices and games (shelling out money for that...gas, time, snacks, tourney fees, etc.) when I could spend a lot less time back and forth and have instruction one on one for my daughter...just seems ugly. If you intended to play 13, why not stay with that number? If you have some who aren't dedicated enough to show, then they shouldn't commit to play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06