Little League All-Star roster questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
I know what you are trying to do. You need 13 in the dugout to have 3 coaches in the dugout. To answer your question I believe Little League All Star rules allows for her to be an alternate if one of the original 13 can't make it but she cannot dress. If someone cannot make it bringing you down to 12 you can only have 2 coaches in the dugout meaning on offense an adult coach at 3B and a player (kid) coach at 1B.

Just so some of the other responders understand what original poster is trying to do... If there are less than 13 players, there can only be 2 coaches. In the Little League All Star tournament (the one where the 12yo girls get to be on ESPN if they keep winning like the boys LLWS) there is mandatory play for each girl. You bat 9 and have to sub. Most teams I know do not like to carry 13 because since you can only pull from your local area usually the talent pool in that area is not that deep and the extra players are usually much weaker than the starting 9. In a close game you may be forced to pull your starter for a weaker player. Most teams like to only carry 11 or 12 strong players. Little League rewards you for adding a 13th by giving you the 3rd coach.
QUOTE]

Great post and I think you hit the nail on the head of the true motivation for the question. It has nothing to do with allowing this girl the opportunity to play but more on wanting to have 3 coaches in the dugout.

Actually, was going to give her the opportunity to practice regardless so my original motivation was to help this girl. It then occured to me that I could have her be the 14th player on the roster.

Anyway, I am not going to add her because I agree with the poster who pointed out that it isn't worth the risk but will still make the offer to have her practice with us.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Gotta love the LL rule book. When my rec league was affiliated with LL,
we carried only 11 all stars-the substitution rule is a real coaching nightmare.
You essentially had to marry the sub to one player for the game, this rule throws
softball common sense right out the window

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Gotta love the LL rule book. When my rec league was affiliated with LL,
we carried only 11 all stars-the substitution rule is a real coaching nightmare.
You essentially had to marry the sub to one player for the game, this rule throws
softball common sense right out the window

That is exactly why I won't carry her on the team. The sub rules and play requirements would be a nightmare with that many girls.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree, that is ridiculous.

In the past, coaches have kept 15 girls for All Star teams (not LL). Of course, when you are paying and traveling parents want to see their kids play. Substitutions were a nightmare. In our area, the coaches make the selections and girls are chosen from each local team. Each team must have at least one girl on the roster. So, oftentimes there is a girl from one of those teams that isn't that great, but is there because the team must be represented.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
It is impossible to play 15 kids and have 15 families be happy. We played a team
in an NSA qualifier that had 16 on the roster and 4 coaches. On top of the logistical nightmare,
they didn't all fit in the dugout. Once, the BU had to call time because they had 5 in the OF
to start an inning. .......................On a side note, they weren't very good

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
It is impossible to play 15 kids and have 15 families be happy. We played a team
in an NSA qualifier that had 16 on the roster and 4 coaches. On top of the logistical nightmare,
they didn't all fit in the dugout. Once, the BU had to call time because they had 5 in the OF
to start an inning. .......................On a side note, they weren't very good

I'm not following this... why did they have five in the outfield?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Because the team was so poorly coached that the girls had no idea who was in who was out.
By far was the most poorly coached travel team I have ever seen. To top it off, they had only
3 baserunners the entire game and complained to BU that our girls were crowding the basepaths.
We mercy ruled them 13-0 and the manager walked off the field without lining up with her team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06