Lazy kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
Some like to play. Some like to compete. Some are driven to find out just how good they can be. Be careful with how much you put your wants/tendencies on her. It might just ruin her love of the game. Remember, it’s her journey, not yours.

That said, if she wants to continue with pitching lessons that you’re playing for, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to require some extra work during the week outside of team events and lessons - 1 day, at least as long as the lesson (minimum). If she’s not willing to make the effort, it’s a waste of time and money.
Right, I tell myself that it's not my thing. At some point she will either get fed up not getting the time or idk....just sit the bench? I just can't pinpoint the issue, does she not care, is she not competitive, is she lazy......I don't want to fork out all this money when she would be just as happy playing for a C level team and never working at home. On the other hand, I think, If she wants to play on the better team and she is able to continue to make the team why would I stop her? One thing that I know for sure is, that she makes me absolutely crazy 🤪

Also I'm adding into this that during basketball she sat the bench a ton too.....and still no effort to work extra at home. She says things like "isn't being a number 2 pitcher good enough?" I just really don't think she really understands how to be good and be competitive. I've coached girls who work non-stop at home...they care so much!!!...why can't my kid want to do that?!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Kid says she wants to pitch but won't work at home. Never complains about going to lessons, but never wants to put in extra work aside from that. She did just finish junior high basketball and is getting ready to start volleyball. I feel like on one hand if I take her to lessons she at least throws a couple times a month....on the other hand I think why the hell am I paying for lessons when she won't do what she needs to in order to get better? She's 12, getting ready to turn 13. Doesn't have an at home work ethic for any sport, not basketball, volleyball, or softball. What are your thoughts? Would you continue to fork out $$ for lessons? She has some potential, swears she wants to play, always wants to pitch in games, but doesn't want to work at home for any sport she is doing.
Did you kidnap my kid? Lol........... sounds very familiar. I made it known that lessons had to be earned and she had to earn them by practicing 3 times a week in between lessons. She then started practicing in between lessons. That made her a better pitcher and more successful during games. That in turn stoked the competitve fire a bit more and getting her to practice became less and less difficult. It's a snowball effect. Kids like doing something they are good at.

Jul 27, 2015
Kid says she wants to pitch but won't work at home. Never complains about going to lessons, but never wants to put in
My daughter was similar back when we played league ball She wanted to play travel. I said I was tired of me having to push her to practice. She said it would change if she got to play travel. And that was the reason she got to play travel. And you know what? She kept her word. She willingly practiced from that point on. She really needed the increased competition to push her.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Does she have enough structure for an at home practice routine or is there too much structure?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Did you kidnap my kid? Lol........... sounds very familiar. I made it known that lessons had to be earned and she had to earn them by practicing 3 times a week in between lessons. She then started practicing in between lessons. That made her a better pitcher and more successful during games. That in turn stoked the competitve fire a bit more and getting her to practice became less and less difficult. It's a snowball effect. Kids like doing something they are good at.

Short story we had a similar conversation with my DD. If she wasn’t going to do the homework then I was going to continue paying for lessons.

Kids/players need goals. Big or small. As they achieve these goals they need new ones. The progression keeps the fire lit (for most at least).

Pitching is hard. It’s a never ending journey to find perfection (which won’t be found). It takes time, work and focus. Trying to get a 12yo to understand that and do it is tough.

For my DD it was putting her into a level she started failing at that turned on the lightbulb. This won’t work for everyone and takes a strong support system. She’s not a “has to be the best” but definitely doesn’t want to be seen as lagging behind.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Right, I tell myself that it's not my thing. At some point she will either get fed up not getting the time or idk....just sit the bench? I just can't pinpoint the issue, does she not care, is she not competitive, is she lazy......I don't want to fork out all this money when she would be just as happy playing for a C level team and never working at home. On the other hand, I think, If she wants to play on the better team and she is able to continue to make the team why would I stop her? One thing that I know for sure is, that she makes me absolutely crazy 🤪

Also I'm adding into this that during basketball she sat the bench a ton too.....and still no effort to work extra at home. She says things like "isn't being a number 2 pitcher good enough?" I just really don't think she really understands how to be good and be competitive. I've coached girls who work non-stop at home...they care so much!!!...why can't my kid want to do that?!
What does “work at home” look like? Is it just her throwing into a net? Is it you catching and giving instruction?

It took a while for me to figure it out, but I had to learn how to shut up and just do my job (front toss for hitting, specifically) without constantly coaching. Before that, home practice sessions often melted down and were cut short.

Feb 13, 2018
Does she have enough structure for an at home practice routine or is there too much structure?

I don't think there is to much structure literally just go through her warm-ups full pitch for a bit then long toss. Not even a long workout usually just trying to get her to put a little bit of time in

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06