Lazy kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
Kid says she wants to pitch but won't work at home. Never complains about going to lessons, but never wants to put in extra work aside from that. She did just finish junior high basketball and is getting ready to start volleyball. I feel like on one hand if I take her to lessons she at least throws a couple times a month....on the other hand I think why the hell am I paying for lessons when she won't do what she needs to in order to get better? She's 12, getting ready to turn 13. Doesn't have an at home work ethic for any sport, not basketball, volleyball, or softball. What are your thoughts? Would you continue to fork out $$ for lessons? She has some potential, swears she wants to play, always wants to pitch in games, but doesn't want to work at home for any sport she is doing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Does she want to get better, or does she just want to participate? Is she playing rec or TB?

If she's playing TB, you can probably bet that her circle time will start to decrease as the girls who are putting in the dedicated work pass her by in ability level.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
General rule for DD was if we paid for lessasons she needed to practice at least 1 day a week. If she did not want me involved fine, we would pay the kid next door a few dollars to catch for her.

Kind of waste of everyone's time if she doesn't practice at least a little bit.

Sep 19, 2018
My dd is...similar. during the season, she understands the extra work pays off. but she does not link the December work to her being ready in April. Winter months, I need to push a little to get the extra work in.

At 12U I can see still doing the lessons without the extra work. But by 14U, the child (young adult??) should be / needs to be mature enough to do the work if they want the lessons. I am not sure exactly where that line changes. I imagine it is different for every family situation.

Feb 13, 2018
Does she want to get better, or does she just want to participate? Is she playing rec or TB?

If she's playing TB, you can probably bet that her circle time will start to decrease as the girls who are putting in the dedicated work pass her by in ability level.
To be honest, I'm not sure. She already doesn't get as much time, even though she could be a #1 without a whole lot more effort. Travel ball. High B team. She not only get the least amount of pitching time, she also overall gets the least amount of playing time aside from pitching. She always asks "do you think I'll get to pitch?" She says she wants to play at this level.....she loves to play....I'm honestly not even sure sitting bothers her?? Kind of one of those kids who are just happy being part of a team. I don't know that she really cares to be #1 or #5 or #9 for that matter. And, on one hand I'm happy she doesn't feel constant pressure to be perfect and great...but on the other I just can't even imagine not wanting to be the best...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To be honest, I'm not sure. She already doesn't get as much time, even though she could be a #1 without a whole lot more effort. Travel ball. High B team. She not only get the least amount of pitching time, she also overall gets the least amount of playing time aside from pitching. She always asks "do you think I'll get to pitch?" She says she wants to play at this level.....she loves to play....I'm honestly not even sure sitting bothers her?? Kind of one of those kids who are just happy being part of a team. I don't know that she really cares to be #1 or #5 or #9 for that matter. And, on one hand I'm happy she doesn't feel constant pressure to be perfect and great...but on the other I just can't even imagine not wanting to be the best...
Some like to play. Some like to compete. Some are driven to find out just how good they can be. Be careful with how much you put your wants/tendencies on her. It might just ruin her love of the game. Remember, it’s her journey, not yours.

That said, if she wants to continue with pitching lessons that you’re playing for, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to require some extra work during the week outside of team events and lessons - 1 day, at least as long as the lesson (minimum). If she’s not willing to make the effort, it’s a waste of time and money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45