Helping a quiet kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Several years back I had a JV Team in which all the starters were 8th graders and experienced travel ball players, but quiet ... The couple 9th graders on the team were also quiet ... It was making me nuts ... I ended up having them practice by standing in pre-game like circle with arms linked prior to and after practices and one at a time scream across the circle ... After they got the hang of it, it became their post practice and pre-game ritual ... It was an intimidating guttural tribal chant as each had their own yell ... They'd go around circle with the nine individual yells, then yelled all at once together followed by GO "TEAM NAME" ... And yes, it worked ... When they were communicating on the field, calling for balls and cheering on their team they left no doubt about it.

Mar 5, 2023
I think it also depends on if she is shy/quiet or actually timid/non aggressive on plays. Not sure which she is so I'll just go through both quickly.

As far as just shy/quiet, like everyone said a good coach should be able to root that out. I don't care if they are shy/quiet, if their work/plays/skills speak for themselves. Everyone should be getting roughly the same amount of reps, and she should be able to display her talents.

Now if she is playing "shy" such as timid/not aggressive that's a different situation. I'm coaching 8U right now, and I have a girl that has this issue right now. It's her first year, so she's not sure of herself and plays "soft". I've talked with her parents about practicing at home with certain drills as well. I'm sure you know, but kids practice totally different with their parents vs on the field with coaches and teammates/friends.

Also, you can avoid the "I'm up or pick me" mentality and still get noticed by practicing on a more advanced skill whether it's slapping, bunting, footwork, throwing, etc. and asking coach to watch and give advice. It shows motivation and growth. The playing a new position could be direct. In TB coaches normally move kids around for pool play to get a little more experience/see what other kids can do. Don't be bias, but watch the girl in the position that DD wants to play. What does she do great/not so great. Work on those skills and get better. Also, keep in mind that coach (more than likely) has a reason your daughter is in a certain position. It might be her catching, throwing, speed, or Field IQ.

Regardless your coach should be able to tell the difference and work with her to get her out of her shell. Kids are very afraid to say they don't know or don't understand. I try to work on that a lot. If you let us know a little more how she is and how she plays we can get into it a little bit more!

Sorry so long winded but I always want to help out kids fall in love with the sport, and not lose interest just because of personality or a non-engaged coach.

Jan 20, 2023
Thanks! She plays aggressively- is just quiet and has not stand out body language.

She said the girl catching for her last weekend says she loves how she doesn’t look the slightest bit aggressive on the mound- then bam - the ball slams her hard in the glove. She gets the job done- just quietly and with no fanfare. Her coach sees her working - he had her pitch and play second - which was pretty new to her this weekend. She’s fast and steals a lot - so definitely plays hard. It’s just a speaking up thing. Her new coach is good with her- but a lot seem to only hear the squeaky wheel.

In the car she will say things like - I wish I said- or I should have got in line sooner or I wish I volunteered when coach asked. So trying to help her get where she wants to be- but I’m not sure what to tell her.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802