Last High School Game for a 2022; Need to Vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
There’s no reason a HS parent should go to the coach about playing time or coaching decisions. Let the kid advocate for themselves.

Jan 31, 2011
There’s no reason a HS parent should go to the coach about playing time or coaching decisions. Let the kid advocate for themselves.
I agree with you absolutely. But, in this case the season is over and the kid is no longer a player of that coach. If this was the middle of the season, I'd say DD needs to talk to the coach.

Jun 20, 2015
i've got no problem with freshman starting ahead of upper classmen. The problem is when the Freshman is NOT better than the upper classmen, but starts anyway. Due to whatever reason. coach choice, AD is friends with dad, senior missed games because of band trip 2 years ago, new coach is a moron, etc, etc, etc.

Witnessed it first hand with multiple players at local HS. Freshman who comes in as coach's favorite, starts ahead of incumbant senior, makes frequent errors (some scored errors, some changed afterwards to be not errors), but never moved. Or the senior that violates published team rules and receives minimal to zero punishment versus the freshman that breaks same rule and sits as outlined. Or the varsity starter batting .195 when there's a girl on JV batting .675 with an OPS of 1.626, but mom is head of the booster club so can't dare make that change.

The good news is, most colleges could care less about HS stats.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In college Freshman are known to start over upper-classmen.
Sometimes to send a message. Sometimes cuz they are simply better.

However in H.S. seems there is a
Earned playing because of age type thing.
Other than stigmata
Coaches decisions are like a garage sale,
Just never know what will turn up... lol

This could be the coach priming for next season 🤷‍♀️

Feb 12, 2014
No intention of writing a letter at this point. But it's hard not to feel like it became personal when your kid (one of only two seniors on the team) is the only kid whose role was diminished from starter to benchwarmer over the course of the season. Last night was insult to injury and people noticed. The other parents were baffled as to why HC would pull her like that. We will move onward and upward, but it hurts, you know? And watching your child sob and sob and blame herself for a s***tty coaching decision is not easy.

I can totally understand your disappointment and pain at seeing your daughter hurt. But, as a parent of a D1 player who will likely spend a good chunk of her career as a DP, please do NOT label that position as a bench warmer. A good DP is worth their weight in gold, just as a good Flex is. Those players are starters.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I didn't read all of the thread so excuse me if this question has been asked, is she going to play college ball?

She is. DIII school. And I already know that all sorts of crazy stuff can happen with college ball, so I am aware that something like this or way worse can happen in college. But the sting of being pulled in that last at-bat is going to be with her and us for a while. We're still hearing about it from people a week later ("Why did Coach pull her like that?"). We have no answers for them.

Jun 20, 2015
She is. DIII school. And I already know that all sorts of crazy stuff can happen with college ball, so I am aware that something like this or way worse can happen in college. But the sting of being pulled in that last at-bat is going to be with her and us for a while. We're still hearing about it from people a week later ("Why did Coach pull her like that?"). We have no answers for them.
when they ask you that, direct them to the coach for answers. public pressure might help future athletes to not get hosed.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Well Congrats! Now move on, there is work to be done. You can change yesterday but you can change tomorrow. Fight on!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying