Just when I thought it couldn't get stupider...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Literally coaches were smoking in The Dugout & edge of field/coaching boxes while playing travel ball games!

The first coach for the BatBuster's named
Joe Grubbs smoked Winston non filters...
And true story actually have a cigarette burn in the sleeve of my batbuster jacket from that.
Did he choose Bike shorts and blue jeans to go with mesh hat and dark panama jack aviators?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 6 year old DGD signed up to play a little softball. So, she is going to a"practice and first look" on Saturday--which I thought was a little crazy. Are they worried that someone will be stacking a team of 6 year olds?

Then, I found out--there was an unofficial "first look" camp two weeks ago for the "serious" players.

Coming soon...

Sluggers Premier Extra Elite Diamond 6U is looking for experienced and committed players dedicated to winning. Please submit skills video and parents' certified financial statement to our National Recruiting Director. If you are a potential SPEED 6U candidate, you will be contacted for on-field evaluation by the Player Evaluation Staff Team ($100 PEST fee required).

Feb 3, 2020
NY
We have this each year for rec ball but only for 8u and up. Since we draft the teams, its the only way to try to evenly put players on teams. Its very informal and low stress for the girls but they are graded A, B, and C, and blind (kids that signed up but didnt go to the show day) based on skill level and the week after all the coach's get together and draft.

For the most part the teams are pretty even but lately we’ve started having coachs that tell really good players to not show up so they can pick them as a blind 🙄
We do the same thing, but bind players are picked out of a hat at the end and are not allowed to pitch to prevent that situation.

Jul 9, 2020
One of the things I liked about coaching softball was that it was generally low key, not a lot of dad's invested in their daughter's career like you see in baseball. The local LL was a hot mess of politics and stacking. But now with so much softball on TV parents are becoming more demanding.
My 11u daughter started at 7 years old 4 years ago playing rec. After a year, she started travel and has been playing travel since. This has not been my experience at all. Parents are not low key. Not even close. Especially pitchers parents. Followed by catchers parents. I thought I entered the twilight zone when my kid started playing travel.

Jun 20, 2015
the parents start to tone down after 10u and 12u. partly because if your daughter is on better level teams, the crazies aren't.

Partly because they wise up, and partly because they may get a reputation and DD has fewer and fewer teams available to her, because coaches will not tolerate crazy parents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00