Just when I thought it couldn't get stupider...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 30, 2011
the younger the age the crazier the parents. our town rec league had so many rotten parents who controlled everything that gave their kids an advantage over others. it was some of the most stressful softball situations i ever came across. good luck
Definitely, the younger the age the crazier the parents.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
My 6 year old DGD signed up to play a little softball. So, she is going to a"practice and first look" on Saturday--which I thought was a little crazy. Are they worried that someone will be stacking a team of 6 year olds?

Then, I found out--there was an unofficial "first look" camp two weeks ago for the "serious" players.
You have to remember that D1 schools start handing out scholarships when the girls hit the 8u level, so you have to weed out the girls who aren't serious at 6.

May 21, 2015
South
My DD played on a boys 7U baseball TB team. We played 6+ tournaments and practiced quite a bit. The parents were a little crazy but not necessarily in a bad way. The coach was very careful in hand picking the team. The coach formed a really good team with focused, driven little kids. It really was amazing to watch the improvement from practice to practice. Playing tournament ball at that age is not a good path for every kid; however, there are some that not only can handle it but thrive. Almost every kid on that team continued to play through high school with some having good college careers.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Recognize this conversation started talking about the hype. Beyond that,
think it's better to have people over facilitate a program than under facilitate.

Looking back on the years of people I know who volunteered to be presidents and part of the Administration staff for rec ball leagues and tb. They try to do their best. In any case there are always complainers
Or better said the shoe doesn't fit everyone.

At least the ones who facilitated well and sat down some parameters...
those people had functioning programs to enjoy.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 11u daughter started at 7 years old 4 years ago playing rec. After a year, she started travel and has been playing travel since. This has not been my experience at all. Parents are not low key. Not even close. Especially pitchers parents. Followed by catchers parents. I thought I entered the twilight zone when my kid started playing travel.

Regular season rec ball and travel ball can be worlds apart in that regard...until you get to all-stars - LOL. 10U TB parents are utterly convinced that Suzy not being the starting pitcher in the first game of pool play at the Battle by the Bay Spring Classic means the coaches are ruining her opportunity to be the winning pitcher in the WCWS 10 years from now.

You're wrong about catcher's parents. We're the most sane and level-headed of all. ;)

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My 11u daughter started at 7 years old 4 years ago playing rec. After a year, she started travel and has been playing travel since. This has not been my experience at all. Parents are not low key. Not even close. Especially pitchers parents. Followed by catchers parents. I thought I entered the twilight zone when my kid started playing travel.
Well I'm 72 and we are talking about softball as it was 25+ years.

Feb 15, 2017
With a lung dart hanging out of one corner of their mouth.
Facts! I was a kid when the Bad News Bears came out and there were some coaches in real life there were eerily similar to Buttermaker. My coach liked his Tiparillos and Beer. And long tube socks and cutoff jeans.

His favorite saying was, "Boys, if you ain't got hustle, you ain't got nothin'."

He said a few other things that aren't appropriate for polite conversation.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12