Just leave

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Once you get to 18s everyone, players included, know who is a baller and who isn't.
Most parents that make it that far settle down. The kids are usually commited so that parental stress is gone. At that point the team and players have different goals. Maybe win a big championship or sharpen skills before college. Most drama occurs at 12s and 14s. I think a lot of it comes from parents who are starting to realize that their DD isn't gonna end up at UCLA.

I still run into 18s, or their parents, that somehow remain confused. I've also seen older teams that performed well on the field that were terribly dysfunctional and fell apart seemingly overnight. That said, I agree...16/18 does calm down quite a bit in terms of gameday parental volume. There was some 14U drama, but I thought 12U was the worst with 10U close behind.

Jul 4, 2013
Our team kicked out a coach once, and unfortunately lost a good kid in his daughter at the same time. We knew it would happen, but the guy had to go.

Reactions: #10
Mar 6, 2016
Our team kicked out a coach once, and unfortunately lost a good kid in his daughter at the same time. We knew it would happen, but the guy had to go.

Really? How does that even play out ? Usually the guy who's coaching started the team. How do parents go about doing that? Just curious how they pulled that off. ?

I also agree with others, that the core of the problem isn't always the parents. The reasons why they may "complain" can vary greatly. Sometimes it could be due to an abusive coach that is creating the toxic environment. It grows more and more toxic and things may occur that leads to some parents getting upset at what is happening and gotta make tough choices.

Aug 25, 2019
When my DD was on 1st 14U team, we had a coach kicked off her team. Semifinals of a tournament, we were down by one with two outs. My DD ripped a double, then was pinched run for (she was slow....still is). Anyway, the next pitch or two, the ball got loose from the catcher, the third base coach (not the head coach) tells runner to go, she starts towards third, but the ball didn't go too far, and the catcher grabbed it, gunned it down to third, the coach yells out "get back", the girl hesitated for a second in the middle and got out in a run down, game over. The coach goes ballistic on her, grabbed her arm, really yelling at her, so that girl's father comes out and starts in with the coach, lots of pushing, put no fists. He was a bad coach anyway, so the organization got rid of him. His DD left too, but she wasn't too good either.

Jul 4, 2013
The team was part of a larger organization that made the ultimate decision. Parents communicated with the organization about on field conduct, organization confirmed it with others outside the organization, the org talked it over with the coach and said some things had to change or he wouldn't be able to continue coaching the team. When the same or similar stuff went down, the org said he wasn't coaching the team anymore.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Really? How does that even play out ? Usually the guy who's coaching started the team. How do parents go about doing that? Just curious how they pulled that off. ?

I also agree with others, that the core of the problem isn't always the parents. The reasons why they may "complain" can vary greatly. Sometimes it could be due to an abusive coach that is creating the toxic environment. It grows more and more toxic and things may occur that leads to some parents getting upset at what is happening and gotta make tough choices.

I've seen it happen...pretty good team, but an a-hole of a coach. Eventually, parents and players had enough. Nearly everyone left and started another pretty good team.

Apr 28, 2014
My DD was kicked off a team while recuperating an injury. Or it could also have been because one of the players found out she’s gay. Needless to say it worked out for the better and she lit them up the couple of times she played them before that team folded.
Thats sad either way. I've found most younger people to be accepting of others preferences. At least in the teams I've been around.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Unfortunately, the times that I have seen this happen were just after a game and either in the area behind the dugout or in the parking lot where everyone gets to watch it unfold. That, imo, was never good for either side.

As a HS coach, I have removed a couple of parents. One was physically removed by me. I had them barred from coming to high school events. The story of the one I physically removed gets much worse but that will be for another day. Well, come to think of it, there were two I physically removed. LOL

Dec 5, 2017
The team was part of a larger organization that made the ultimate decision. Parents communicated with the organization about on field conduct, organization confirmed it with others outside the organization, the org talked it over with the coach and said some things had to change or he wouldn't be able to continue coaching the team. When the same or similar stuff went down, the org said he wasn't coaching the team anymore.
That exact same scenario happened on dd's current team. Fortunately it went down right before we joined.

Dec 5, 2017
Thats sad either way. I've found most younger people to be accepting of others preferences. At least in the teams I've been around.
Most likely the parents, for the most part you are right imo about younger people being more accepting. If it is the girls it's probably still the parents who raised them to be that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr