Joe Paterno in serious condition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DW said he passed away. He was a legend and people should remember him for his billions of moments of greatness.

Mar 13, 2010
He was a legend and people should remember him for his billions of moments of greatness.

Like you said he hasn't passed, but he should be remembered not for winning football games, but for not protecting children that were being raped.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
As a proud Penn State graduate I feel that I must comment on the passing of Joe Paterno and his legacy. Yes, he was/is a hero to me and had a positive influence on thousands of Penn State students. Along with the pictures of my family that are in my wallet, there is a picture of Joe Paterno running out of the tunnel with his football team. When I say this, people seem to think that I am crazy. I do empathize for the victims of the predator Jerry Sanduski. When he is found guilty, I can only hope that he will be punished to the extreme. It’s a shame that he cannot be put through the same torture that he inflicted on all those kids and their families. His day will come, but not soon enough.
It will be debated for a long time as to Joe’s culpability in this matter. Maybe having gone from the tough industrial town that I was raised in, to the pristine, Rockwell like landscape of Happy Valley, my eyes are clouded as to Joe’s actions in this situation. Back in the early 1980’s the place was like heaven to me. To this day, I still have those same feelings and my heart breaks when I think of this scandal. My niece now attends Penn State and keeps me updated on all the issues. No, not all Penn State students were rioting because of Joe’s firing. Although, most Penn State students are now supporting victim’s abuse causes. It most also be noted that the way he was fired was lame.
As we are now seeing, Joe’s life paralleled those Greek Tragedies that that he taught for all those years in Ancient Literature classes. Yes, here was a major college football coach that actually taught “real” classes and believed that academic and athletic success are connected to each other. As people who are all connected to sports, this should also be our objective. History will show that Joe was a human being who was made of flesh and blood and was capable of greatness and missteps. You could say that it would be unfair to throw out all of his good works just because of one mistake, but it is also worse to ignore the mistake. It tarnishes an almost sparkling reputation. In the end, Joe has taught us that we are all mortal and that wins and losses mean nothing when you compromise your principles. He will be missed.
Lastly, here is a good JoePa story. My college roommate was a student trainer for one of Joe’s most successful teams. Years later, when my roommate needed a letter of recommendation for a job at one of Penn State’s biggest rivals, Joe wrote one of the best letters that I have ever read for him. My roommate has this letter framed and hanging on office wall at this rival school.
RIP JoePA
WE ARE ...PENN STATE
coach D'E
PSU Class of 1984

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
JoPa was a great football coach who talked a great game about moral upstanding and doing the right thing. But when faced with the tough decision to turn in a long time friend and former assistant he failed miserably by looking the other way and passing the buck with the least amount of effort he possibly could. That one act of failure will rightly taint the memory of what was otherwise a very good coach for many of us.

I'm much closer to Lozza's post than the others that have been expressed so far.

May 25, 2010
Like you said he hasn't passed, but he should be remembered not for winning football games, but for not protecting children that were being raped.

There is much I could say in response to this, but I choose not to. You have the right to be wrong, joining those people who choose to snack on media soundbites while ignoring a little thing called due process.

JoPa was a great football coach who talked a great game about moral upstanding and doing the right thing. But when faced with the tough decision to turn in a long time friend and former assistant he failed miserably by looking the other way and passing the buck with the least amount of effort he possibly could. That one act of failure will rightly taint the memory of what was otherwise a very good coach for many of us.

I'm much closer to Lozza's post than the others that have been expressed so far.

You're an American, so you know better.

If the sum total of statements and actions over the course of his life amounts to failure in your eyes, while I admire you for your pursuit of absolute perfection, I cannot support your assertion that all those whose lives were so greatly enhanced by his influence are somehow built on an artificial reality.

There will come a time when those who have such desires will be able to take a critical look at the entire portrait of this man, but I don't believe today is that day. It's appropriate to celebrate his life while taking note of our own mortality, but while you may be free to express negative opinions about Coach Paterno or anyone else, it is my opinion that it's inappropriate for this particular forum at this particular time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd