Is my daughters bat too heavy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2010
LI,NY
My daughter is 12 years old 5.4, 130lbs she uses a 34/25 bat, she can hit the ball about 200 ft. with it. The other day one of the parents on her travel team said she thinks the bat is too heavy for her. She said that when my daughter sees faster pitching she will not be able to get the bat around quick enough. I take my daughter to a batting cage with machines throwing 60-65 mph and she has no problem getting around on the pitches. Should she be using a lighter bat?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
That sounds a little heavy to me, but if she's hitting 200 feet with it, it's hard to say. I would probably have her try a 32/22 or 23 and see if she picks up bat speed though. The heavy bat can mask a slower bat speed. More bat speed could lead to even longer hits. I've never seen a 12 YO useing that big (length and weight) of a bat. My DD is 14, 5'3" and 115lbs, she uses 32/22 with a 31/21 in case she needs it for faster pitching. In fact, everyone on her team uses the same size, and she is not the biggest girl on her team by any means.

Oct 18, 2009
A 12yo girl on my DD's team is about 5'8" 160lbs. She used to use a 34/25. She could absolutely crush bad/slower pitching with that bat, but K'ed every time against faster/better pitching. We have been in some competitive tournaments and are seeing better pitching. She has gone down to a 32/22 non end loaded bat and is having more success against top teams in our area.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
have her use the longest, heaviest bat that she can handle with control and bat-speed. Longer bat means more leverage on the ball. Heavier bat means more mass through the ball. If her bat-speed is good with it she's fine. You can swing a tin can 1000 mph, but that isn't going to add power through the ball.

Have her keep using the bat that she is using. Sounds like some parents are jealous of your daughter's ability.

Mar 13, 2010
So your daughter has a bat she likes and bats well with. Because of a random comment from a parent, you're trying to decide if she should keep the bat?

It's working for her. Leave her be. If her batting starts becoming a problem, then assess her bat. But for now, there's nothing wrong with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd