If someone is injured do you take the extra base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
In a 10u game yesterday, DD lines a shot that catches the pitcher on the shin and takes her down. While on the ground, pitcher is able to reach ball and throw home in an attempt to catch the runner scoring. The SS was coming in to back up the play, so Mojo advanced to 2B.

This was just a friendly with nothing at stake, and it's my opinion that all the players did what they were supposed to do when they saw the player go down. Pitcher wasn't able to continue pitching, but was able to remain in the game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have notice an increase in pre game umpire instrutions at the coach's meeting regarding this. Most umps are now saying that if you see an injury like that do not wait for time to be called. Just go out and see about the player. He/she will call the play dead and take care of the situation.

And this is very poor interpretation and instruction.

Mar 13, 2010
Reverse the situation. Speedy batter rips one into the gap, easily going to be a stand up double, possibly even a triple. As she is rounding 1st base she rolls her ankle and goes down in a pile on the field. To be completely "sportsmanlike", does the defense not tag her out and ask the umpire to put her or a sub on 2nd or 3rd base?

In this scenario I wouldn't be tagging her out but shed likely be awarded the base she last touched. I would also be surprised to not see a runner in that scenario crawling to the closest base.

Oct 25, 2009
In this scenario I wouldn't be tagging her out but shed likely be awarded the base she last touched. I would also be surprised to not see a runner in that scenario crawling to the closest base.

She should be tagged out! She wouldn't be awarded any base she wasn't on, anyway!

Jan 24, 2011
I have notice an increase in pre game umpire instrutions at the coach's meeting regarding this. Most umps are now saying that if you see an injury like that do not wait for time to be called. Just go out and see about the player. He/she will call the play dead and take care of the situation.

And this is very poor interpretation and instruction.

This has become the norm in our area during the pre game instructions

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This has become the norm in our area during the pre game instructions

Being a norm doesn't make it intelligent.

It is unsafe for anyone not playing in the game to enter the field while the ball is live. And, like it or not, it is the umpire's judgment as to what is a serious injury and when to stop play. What a coach thinks is irrelevant and could get him/her or other players injured. And beyond safety, you have possible interference/obstruction rulings and, at times, possible ejections.

As previously noted by another poster, coaches and players have turned what is meant as a safety measure into a game strategy issue and that doesn't help maintain a level playing field.

Jan 24, 2011
Being a norm doesn't make it intelligent.

It is unsafe for anyone not playing in the game to enter the field while the ball is live. And, like it or not, it is the umpire's judgment as to what is a serious injury and when to stop play. What a coach thinks is irrelevant and could get him/her or other players injured. And beyond safety, you have possible interference/obstruction rulings and, at times, possible ejections.

As previously noted by another poster, coaches and players have turned what is meant as a safety measure into a game strategy issue and that doesn't help maintain a level playing field.

Look , I am not arguing with you. Just saying how this is handled most of the time in our area

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Look , I am not arguing with you. Just saying how this is handled most of the time in our area

And I'm just noting why it may not be the best advice/instruction. Especially at the young ages, Lil' Susie drops to the ground screaming over a stubbed toe or twisted ankle (and before anyone tells me how ridiculous that is, I'm not talking about your DD :) ). Coach Daddy and Scorekeeper Mom (or Coach Mommy and Scorekeeper Dad) simply react to the screams and go running onto the field.

Three minutes later, Lil' Susie is back in position waiting for the next play. And, yes, I have seen this occur even before it was allowed in the rules for the umpire to suspend play immediately for serious injury.

I'm just suggesting that you need to give the umpires a chance to see what happened, take a mental picture of the field and then decide whether it is necessary to suspend play. For the umpires to suggest you just run out onto the field, IMO, is callous and may lead to an unnecessarily problematic situation.

And I'm just noting why it may not be the best advice/instruction. Especially at the young ages, Lil' Susie drops to the ground screaming over a stubbed toe or twisted ankle (and before anyone tells me how ridiculous that is, I'm not talking about your DD :) ). Coach Daddy and Scorekeeper Mom (or Coach Mommy and Scorekeeper Dad) simply react to the screams and go running onto the field.

Three minutes later, Lil' Susie is back in position waiting for the next play. And, yes, I have seen this occur even before it was allowed in the rules for the umpire to suspend play immediately for serious injury.

I'm just suggesting that you need to give the umpires a chance to see what happened, take a mental picture of the field and then decide whether it is necessary to suspend play. For the umpires to suggest you just run out onto the field, IMO, is callous and may lead to an unnecessarily problematic situation.

Great point. I think we would / should be able to make a reasonable judgement whether it is a minor injury (stubbed toe, jammed finger,etc) vs. something that might be more serious (anything around the head) before running unto the field or sending that runner for an extra bases.
Personally I don't want to be coming out of the dugout or the coaches box until I hear "time out." I definitely do not want a parent running unto the field.

Feb 14, 2013
I'm sure you're convinced that you're the greatest coach of all time, but you clearly have it wrong. Gender has nothing to do with this discussion.
No where close to being the greatest coach, average at best, always learning something new.
Gender does have something to do with this discussion. Had it been a male pitcher in bb this discussion would not be had.
To my point, when on offense the object is to score as many points as you can, on defense it is to allow the fewest points you can. True?! I will say it again, if a team is consistantly being beat/or winning by more than ten points they need to change the level of play. Simple. To often the kids are taught/coached to slow down or stop when they have a lead and it turns around and bites them in their hind parts! A great example of finshing a game was the Alabama game earlier today, they did not stop when they were ahead by ten points. I did not see the final but the last time I looked at the score it was 19-0. I am shure that Coach Murphy does not want women on his team that were taught to quit when they were ahead.
I am sorry that OP was hit, I am dreading the day that my DD takes a line drive when she is pitching. However she will tell you that it is her job to defend herself and her teamates job to continue to play. If the umpire had felt that the injury justified stopping play then he/she should have, according to OP they did not.

I agree the umpire's lead was to be followed. Unless he calls time the ball is still in play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl