HS Tryouts - Freshman on Varsity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Like many of the other High Schools, my DD's HS tryouts were held Mon-Wed this week. My DD was invited by the HC to tryout with the Varsity team instead of the Freshman and JV team. We received word today from the HC that my DD has made the Varsity team. She is just 15 and a Freshman. The Varsity team has 8 seniors on the team and will run a 14 person squad that includes 4 pitchers that includes my DD. I was told that my DD is pitcher #3 and should receive decent amount of playing time. By playing with the Varsity team she will be surrounded by quality players and coaches that will only help her be a better player.

She has spent the last 4 months practicing by going to 3 batting sessions, 2 team practices (1 16u team & 1 18u team), 3 pitching sessions (2 practices & 1 lesson) and 3 strength/conditioning sessions per week. She has totally dedicated her entire fall/winter towards becoming a better player.

After the death of her grandfather (my dad) 2 weeks ago she has had tons on her mind, but was so dedicated for her tryouts with a heavy heart. Finally after a very rough 3 weeks, she has brought a huge smile to my face. I know my dad would be so proud of her as much as I am right now.

Both of my DD's also made varsity as freshman one a pitcher(freshman) and the other a SS(junior). I too lost my father not so long ago on Jan 10th.
He loved watching them play softball and was very supportive along with my mother which will still go to their high school games just wish he would have been able to see my younger DD play school ball with big sis....oh well I guess things happen for a reason.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Congratulations on your DD making varsity as a freshman! Does she play another position when she is not pitching? Does she have a good bat? HS ball is different than TB when it comes to pitcher utilization - HS teams typically only play one game in a day and 2-3 games per week, so keeping 4 pitchers happy could be a difficult task for a HS coach.

Dec 7, 2011
Sorry for your personal loss.

Congrats to your DD on her reward.

Only one simple note - make sure your DD is a bit mentally ready for the extra challenge it can be playing with a bunch of girls up to 4 yrs older than her. It CAN be a challenge.

Nov 14, 2011
Does she play another position when she is not pitching? Does she have a good bat?

She also plays middle infield but prefers to play at 2B more than SS. She has a very good bat so that should help her get playing time off the mound.

Nov 14, 2011
Only one simple note - make sure your DD is a bit mentally ready for the extra challenge it can be playing with a bunch of girls up to 4 yrs older than her. It CAN be a challenge.

I totally agree. My DD has a stupid birthday (December) so she is used to being the youngest on any team that she has played on. This year we started to practice with a 18u team so she can get used to the additional speed of the game and also the different mindset of a 18u player vs. a 15u player. I would consider my DD to be mentally tough but I guess we will have to see how things progress this spring with HS ball. She is traveling to Florida (16 hours) with the Varsity team in 2 weeks so that should be the first big test on how she "fits in" with the group. So far most of the team has been very good to her. Hope that keeps up!

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Congrats and condolences. As I get older I think about preparing for the day when I lose a parent but am pretty certain there is little you can do that will make you ready.

I have heard that in some schools going JV is the end of one's career and definitely if you go for a second year. DD tells me the HC at the HS would rather take a Freshmen to Varsity. Having spent the fall playing 18U I'm not to concerned about the tryout.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer