How often should you have "team" practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
12U travel team. We play on avg 3 out of 4 weekends. Right now we practice as a team twice a week. Players are also taking individual hitiing and pitching lessons. Should we be having team practice more than this? I always thought it was enough. Just don't seem to be getting the results on the field. I see that some of the kids are getting better, while others just do not seem to get it. Could it just be that the better kids are seperating themselves at this time. I am getting desperate for answers.

Jul 26, 2010
Games are won and lost in practice.

That said, the quantity of practice does not outweigh the importance of quality of practice. It is important for coaches to spend a great deal of time and effort into maximizing the time they have available to practice and deciding which skills to practice. As important is the necessity of creating a progression for teaching and practicing each of those skills. The speed, attitude, competition, and effort demanded from players at practice also plays a huge role in getting the most out of practice time.

I coach a 12u travel team, and when we perform poorly at tournaments I do schedule additional practices and adjust my practice plan to suit the needs of the team. This is explained clearly before the season starts in the team meeting. However, it is important that I use these extra practices to teach and motivate, not to punish.

What, exactly, are you trying to get answers on? What results are you not seeing, and what facets of the game are the players not "getting"?

-W

Jan 24, 2011
I have a little bit of this same problem. I also practice twice a week and then allow those kids that have privated hitting/pitching to go to lessons on the days we dont do team pracitce. My problem is , that I dont feel I get enough accomplished in the team days that I should. Does anyone care to share how they operate their practices and how to do it efficiently? Any input would be appreciated.

Mar 15, 2010
DD's team practices 4 times a week Feb - Mar. Mon and Wed - Fielding, Thu - Batting, Fri - conditioning. Mar - Apr/May team is dark due to high school where they also practiced 4 times a week. Starting in May we play 3 out of 4 weekends and drop the Mon practice. In June - July we play every weekend and drop Friday practice. August we drop to one required practice a week and batting is optional. We will play 1 or 2 weekends. September is dark. Team resumes in Oct thourgh Dec 15 on the two day a week practice. Dec 16 - Jan 15 is dark with tryouts starting Jan 16 and practices resuming in Feb.

Mar 13, 2010
Any time you're not playing these girls should be practicing. Four hours if possible. Why let them be little girls and have lives outside of softball? We have games to win!

If you can't teach your girls the skills necessary in two trainings a week you aren't a very good coach.

Jun 24, 2009
Any time you're not playing these girls should be practicing. Four hours if possible. Why let them be little girls and have lives outside of softball? We have games to win!

If you can't teach your girls the skills necessary in two trainings a week you aren't a very good coach.

Well stated !

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Twice a week should be enough...but I'm not sure that every practice should be the standard 2 hours long. I've never quite understood how everything can be taught in exactly 120 minutes.

One very successful coach liked to have a one day a week, all day (9AM to 4PM) practice. It wasn't quite what it seemed...they would break at noon. The daddies would fire up some grills, someone else would bring some soft drinks and chips, and then they would have a two hour picnic. There are worse ways to spend a day.

May 18, 2009
I think it depends on the team and who your playing. If your team is struggling and vast improvement is needed, more practice. My older DD practices 2-4 times per week depending on how her team is performing. She practices pitching 3 times per week in addition to the team practice. She plays U-16.

Younger DD practices twice per week. Pitches when she feels like it two or three times per week. 8-U.

Mar 13, 2010
NVfishing I think your oldest daughter has the right time for practice. She's 14/15 and wanting to be an elite player. I was the same at her age.

But a 6/7 year old doing two practices a week? Far too much. One training is enough for little girls who are barely out of the toddler stage. One two hour practice a week is perfect for anyone younger than ten. They need to have lives outside of softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG