How many players are too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
I think this just highlights the differences in the levels of softball. Big tournaments, teams that always go deep in tournaments, lots of pool games, etc vs teams that play more local were you 3 game guarantee only takes 5 games to win. 4 pitchers on those teams is crazy and no one would be happy. 4 pitchers on the other teams especially if 2 are PO and the other 2 are position players as well really helps on a big national stage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
4 pitchers is obscene. If you've got 4 pitchers who are getting anywhere close to an equal amount of time, you are doing them, and your team, a huge disservice. There simply aren't enough innings to go around to continue development. Two is ideal. Two and an "inning eater" is tolerable, but no one is knowingly signing up to be the inning eater.

weve had a couple of days with potential for 4 or 5 games in extreme heat. add in an injury, and 4 on the roster is not ridiculous. only the one who was hurt saw less than 75 innings for the spring.

Feb 20, 2021
Hmmm dont think 4 is outrageous. 2 is under prepaired. 4 is doable with a purposful schedule. 3 maybe sweet spot. However thats 3 usable pitchers... NOT one being considered a back-up.

Example
There are events where teams can play 14 games in one week.

Come back next weekend and play 6 games in 2 days.

That is a load for only 2 pitchers and thats only within 14-16 days of summer.
Definitely aren’t playing tournaments like that. A mix of local tournaments and a few showcases. I’m still learning about the goals and path the new coach wants to take.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD came out of a two year retirement from pitching at her coaches request to be the "P4/inning eater" because that is what her club coach requested she does. She goes to the organizational pitching practices, maybe throws one other day a week. She wants to go back to her pitching coach some this fall.

If you are going to play in a national tournament, or qualifier, you need 3 good pitchers and 1 who can pitch when necessary, but doesn't care.

That is the role my DD played her last year in 12u-All Stars that came in 5th at Western B nationals in 2018, and was one bad bounce and one baserunning blunder away from a top 3 finish. We beat the team that won the tournament that year in pool play.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
This topic comes up fairly regularly.. DD plays 14u and her team has a roster of 22!! Only lost 1 player in 3 years

We have 4 PO's and 2 Pitcher/OF's, hows that for a little crazy!

May 29, 2019
4 pitchers is obscene. If you've got 4 pitchers who are getting anywhere close to an equal amount of time, you are doing them, and your team, a huge disservice. There simply aren't enough innings to go around to continue development. Two is ideal. Two and an "inning eater" is tolerable, but no one is knowingly signing up to be the inning eater.
You cannot play a competitive schedule with just two pitchers. Additionally, your #3 needs to be better than "garbage inning" quality if you plan on having any success.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Definitely aren’t playing tournaments like that. A mix of local tournaments and a few showcases. I’m still learning about the goals and path the new coach wants to take.
Saw your playing time post...
Was playing time %
At pool play
One game at pitcher
One game secondary position
One game sit

33.% pitching time very reasonable to accommodate.

Depending on how good she is ... out of 4 pitchers that could be the #1 spot! Her Getting an entire game, while other 3 pitchers split the other 2 games.

However~
That could also happen with just 2 pictchers. Her and 1 other.
The other pitcher getting 67%

70% playing time is reasonable imo. Split at 2 positions or a 1 position player.
But a pitcher getting 70% means she's carrying the team, or too much load.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The Hittin' Kittens only have 2 pitchers and only 11 on the roster. That's why they are the Hittin' Kittens!

Back to real life, 4 pitchers is ideal for 16u and 18u for teams. Did this for 4 years straight. A decent coach can play 16 players in a weekend tourney. Players don't need to play every inning of every game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA