How many players are too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
So why not just take three so no one quits?

There’s parents who will quit no matter how many or few pitchers are on a roster. They want to “send a message” or right a perceived wrong by yanking their kid. Often right before or even during a big tournament.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So why not just take three so no one quits?

The softball gods may only provide three, or fewer than that. Wanting four isn't the same as getting four.

It's like wanting a big roster full of great players. Wanting it doesn't mean it will happen.

Aug 3, 2016
Problem with 11, 12, 13 roster is the girls get complacent. SS screws up and they are playing SS again the next inning. 15, 16, 17 roster she gets to sit on the bench and think about how much harder she needs to work to get her spot back at SS.

Feb 20, 2021
Problem with 11, 12, 13 roster is the girls get complacent. SS screws up and they are playing SS again the next inning. 15, 16, 17 roster she gets to sit on the bench and think about how much harder she needs to work to get her spot back at SS.
I totally agree. I just want to hear that from the coach. I’m all for competition. I want my daughter pushed. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of this.

Dec 6, 2019
When they get to college they’ll have 5-6 pitchers so they’d better learn how to compete.
I'd much rather she learn to pitch before she get to college. If she doesn't get innings now she won't be able to compete later. How many college pitchers do you think were getting 25% of the innings on their 14u teams? Get real.

Jun 8, 2016
I'd much rather she learn to pitch before she get to college. If she doesn't get innings now she won't be able to compete later. How many college pitchers do you think were getting 25% of the innings on their 14u teams? Get real.
I don't know what percent of innings she was getting in 14U but @MNDad 's kid played for a P5 school so... 🤷‍♂️

Most really good teams will carry more pitchers but they will also play deeper into tournaments so it sort of evens out. If your C team
has 4 pitchers then yeah it probably isn't a great idea.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD was on a few teams with four pitchers. It was awesome! She was surrounded by a staff where she had to sink or swim. They were able to use matchups with pitchers strengths and always went deep in tourneys. That meant she still picked up at least 2-3 games every weekend. When they get to college they’ll have 5-6 pitchers so they’d better learn how to compete.
The 3 game (sometimes 4) is tough for college teams. By the time you get to the 3rd game, there are no more secrets. For some teams who are fortunate enough to have a couple of stud (ahem, high quality) pitchers that can go deep every start it makes it somewhat easier. But those teams at the bottom of the confrerence that have been plagued by injuries because of over use and any other reason it's tough road. The college scheudule is a true grind where proper health, nutrition, sleep and 3 great pitchers and 4 catchers are a must!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When you play 65 minute 3 inning games while getting double dipped, your point is valid.

This is my 2000th post. Boom!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I don't know what percent of innings she was getting in 14U but @MNDad 's kid played for a P5 school so... 🤷‍♂️

Most really good teams will carry more pitchers but they will also play deeper into tournaments so it sort of evens out. If your C team
has 4 pitchers then yeah it probably isn't a great idea.
My 14U All Star team had 3.5 pitchers and I needed every one of the them and I wished I had another! How do you think they won 3rd place at the 2014 ASA Southern "B" Nationals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12