How long until the face mask rule is in effect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Lacrosse goggles are the norm now, but when I was in high school they were just getting started. The same issues were in play - the rumor was that college coaches didn't want a girl who wore goggles because she was more likely to violate the shooting space rule. The rule itself isn't important here, just the general resistance to change. Bottom line I do think facemasks will become the norm, it is just going to take time. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming year as the California HS rule mandating facemasks is played out.

Got a link to verification of this rule? I have been all over the CIF sight and can find no mention of a facemask rule.

Jun 22, 2008
I will do some more inquiry on another forum, but still can find no mention in anything on CIF of a facemask rule. I can find some mention of CA requiring them clear back in 2011 with them supposedly being mandatory in 2012, but I do not believe this happened either. It is my understanding they cannot mandate any equipment that is not NOCSAE certified and as far as I know none of the defensive facemasks are currently certified.

Jun 22, 2008
Just heard from a norcal umpire who had their kickoff meeting last night. He said there was absolutely no mention of any facemask rule.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Huh. Rumor it is. Your explanation yesterday made a lot of sense - I could see some real lawsuits/headaches if non-certified equipment were to be mandated.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just as you are starting to see more batting helmet cages in college since they started getting mandated in rec and travel, you will start to see more fielding masks as the players who have worn them since 8U/10U come through the ranks.

With the rip-it mask coming out a few years ago (and now the Schutt ones as well) they started being light enough and comfortable enough to be worn without discomfort.

It is not fear of fielding the ball - it is fear of the things you cannot control - like the bad hop, a weird bounce or the line drive you can't react to no matter how good you are.

The 'she'll never make my team wearing one' is a load of garbage. If a player demonstrates they are the best - believe me - they'll be on the team.

No one says a word about a batter wearing elbow guards or shin guards or helmets and eventually that will apply to fielding masks as well.

Oct 10, 2011
My DD has attended a particular Big Ten softball camp several times over the year and at the end of the camp, there was a Q&A session. Every time she's been there, the question about wearing a face mask has come up. The answer every single time was, " do what you feel comfortable with - however you will never see a player on our team wearing
a mask. If you are afraid of the ball, then you probably should not be playing softball." All the players then shook their heads in agreement.
I have never heard any of the players comment about being "crossed of a list" of possible recruits due to a mask -
but then again, they may not want to "advertise" that type of thinking.
Last night DDs AC told her and his own DD that they need to stop using their masks if they want to be taken seriously. They're both 14 and will be mainly playing 18u tournaments. Makes me nervous as she plays 3rd base and hasn't played at that level yet.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Last night DDs AC told her and his own DD that they need to stop using their masks if they want to be taken seriously. They're both 14 and will be mainly playing 18u tournaments. Makes me nervous as she plays 3rd base and hasn't played at that level yet.

So, when does he pick up the insurance premiums for you daughter? Thank the AC for the unsolicited opinion and let your daughter's play speak for itself.

Coaches who place personal opinion and prejudice before the game and player is offering neither respect or support

Oct 10, 2011
So, when does he pick up the insurance premiums for you daughter? Thank the AC for the unsolicited opinion and let your daughter's play speak for itself.

Coaches who place personal opinion and prejudice before the game and player is offering neither respect or support
At the showcase clinic we just went to, only 3 girls had them on out of about 40 girls. The crazy thing is, one of the coaches got a bloody nose from getting hit and said she was dizzy. I guess she just shook it off:confused:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Probably the same guy standing behind a HUGE screen when he pitches front toss.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors