How long until the face mask rule is in effect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am in no way an advocate of the "forced" use of masks and agree with many that it is the player's and parent's choice to use whatever protection they want.

However, DD was at a D1 camp last weekend. One of the D1 players told the girls attending the camp, that if they wore a mask at the camp while playing 1B or 3B the head coach would scratch them off of his list of prospects. This comment was backed up by one of the assistant coaches as well. So the messaging from at least this D1 school is don't wear masks if you expect to play for them.

My DD wears a mask currently when she pitches and has for years also worn it at 1B and 3B. Due to comments like the above she is feeling pressure to not wear the mask in order to keep playing.

If the ASA or some other body decides to mandate the masks... that has no impact on colleges. You might end up with a bunch of girls getting crossed off the list.

btw... at the camp DD did not wear hear mask and she performed well. She is considering dumping it altogether.

And who is responsible for providing and paying your DD's health and dental insurance? I know it isn't some narcissistic coach

Oct 24, 2010
However, DD was at a D1 camp last weekend. One of the D1 players told the girls attending the camp, that if they wore a mask at the camp while playing 1B or 3B the head coach would scratch them off of his list of prospects. This comment was backed up by one of the assistant coaches as well. So the messaging from at least this D1 school is don't wear masks if you expect to play for them.

A fine institution of higher learning that one is. :rolleyes:

May 25, 2010
I am in no way an advocate of the "forced" use of masks and agree with many that it is the player's and parent's choice to use whatever protection they want.

My DD wears a mask currently when she pitches and has for years also worn it at 1B and 3B. Due to comments like the above she is feeling pressure to not wear the mask in order to keep playing.

If the ASA or some other body decides to mandate the masks... that has no impact on colleges. You might end up with a bunch of girls getting crossed off the list.

btw... at the camp DD did not wear hear mask and she performed well. She is considering dumping it altogether.
This is not the first time this particular scare tactic has been mentioned here. What D1 softball program was it?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2009
This is not the first time this particular scare tactic has been mentioned here. What D1 softball program was it?

My DD has attended a particular Big Ten softball camp several times over the year and at the end of the camp, there was a Q&A session. Every time she's been there, the question about wearing a face mask has come up. The answer every single time was, " do what you feel comfortable with - however you will never see a player on our team wearing
a mask. If you are afraid of the ball, then you probably should not be playing softball." All the players then shook their heads in agreement.

I have never heard any of the players comment about being "crossed of a list" of possible recruits due to a mask -
but then again, they may not want to "advertise" that type of thinking.

Apr 1, 2010
It's fun playing the "who's more macho?" game till someone gets their face bashed in. I've noticed that college coaches don't seem to have a problem with a girl using a face shield that a doctor has mandated AFTER she's been badly injured.

I expect that eventually the stigma of wearing a fielding mask will fade. It doesn't seem as though college girls wearing masks on their batting helmets are being derided as sissies who are afraid of the ball anymore. This too shall pass.

Oct 25, 2009
My DD has attended a particular Big Ten softball camp several times over the year and at the end of the camp, there was a Q&A session. Every time she's been there, the question about wearing a face mask has come up. The answer every single time was, " do what you feel comfortable with - however you will never see a player on our team wearing
a mask. If you are afraid of the ball, then you probably should not be playing softball." All the players then shook their heads in agreement.

I have never heard any of the players comment about being "crossed of a list" of possible recruits due to a mask -
but then again, they may not want to "advertise" that type of thinking.

There's part of the problem, the assumption that the reason they would wear a mask is out of fear. Fear of someone thinking you're afraid is probably what keeps some from using common sense.

If the potential for permanent injury wasn't an issue it wouldn't be a big deal. And for the vast majority it won't ever be an issue, but I feel for the very few who WILL have lifelong issues after a serious facial injury.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We wouldn't need masks if we were using wooden bats.

Why not? Many of these injuries existed with a ball struck with a wood bat. It was not uncommon to see players get bloody by being hit by a batted ball before composites or aluminum.

I would agree that there is little doubt that with these bats it may be more catastrophic in some cases, but the injuries were there. Obviously, the frequency has risen, but so has the popularity of the youth FP game along with participation and parental overview over the same time period that these bats have been available. Then again, how many of the players today would have played/continued playing if the aluminum or composite bats were not available?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Lacrosse goggles are the norm now, but when I was in high school they were just getting started. The same issues were in play - the rumor was that college coaches didn't want a girl who wore goggles because she was more likely to violate the shooting space rule. The rule itself isn't important here, just the general resistance to change. Bottom line I do think facemasks will become the norm, it is just going to take time. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming year as the California HS rule mandating facemasks is played out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors