How is travel for college away games handled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The TB coach would be a good resource for questions like these.

A valid question, but I know I leaned on the TB coach for all of the things that I didn’t know. I felt much more comfortable asking him than the college coach I just met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This statement stood out to me. Why would someone be uncomfortable asking a coach about travel expenses? You are not questioning God just another person. And it's not like you are asking about playing time. LOL

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD played DII. They paid for everything. Typically, one meal per day on the road was at a pretty good place to eat. All of the young ladies on the team had dietary plans drawn up for them and were expected to stay on those plans but Coach never was the food police.

Jun 8, 2016
Lots of D3 programs require the players to fundraise. For travel, uniforms, equipment, etc. Doesn't matter what the output is, the input is the same. Needing to raise money or pay extra to play is common.

Also happens at non-D3's. Depends on the program.
I stand corrected..good to know. Do they typically fundraise as a team, e.g. the fundraising money gets evenly distributed
or does each player get to keep whatever they fundraise individually?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
We usually bus from our campus to Middletown to fly out of HIA if we are heading to Florida in the early part of our season. When our temps get better for playing outside and we get into our conference schedule, we usually take a bus from campus to wherever we are playing. We get food and lodging while we're wherever we are playing.

Jul 31, 2015
I stand corrected..good to know. Do they typically fundraise as a team, e.g. the fundraising money gets evenly distributed
or does each player get to keep whatever they fundraise individually?

Usually, it's $xxx per player.
I've heard quotes that range from $500-1000, with ~$800 being the most common.
Typically it's to fund a spring break trip to go play in Florida, but some programs also raise funds for uniforms and other travel.

Team fund raisers are the most popular, and the money gets evenly distributed. But in most cases there is an individual threshold that must be met.

And you'd be surprised at the teams that fundraise; I personally know of 2 very prominent D3's and 1 mid-major D1 that require it.
Don't know for sure but I'd guess most D3s require some form of payment.

(This is part of the reason my DD went to a D3 that's sponsored, which is very rare. Couldn't deal with throwing any more $$$ at softball given the *holy crap* cost of attendance.)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
DD's D3 team works the other sports (especially volleyball where they provide scorers, line judges and ball chasers) at the school to help fund their Florida trip, but otherwise everything else is funded (but then they don't go all that far and there is only a couple of overnights)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
DD's D3 team works the other sports (especially volleyball where they provide scorers, line judges and ball chasers) at the school to help fund their Florida trip, but otherwise everything else is funded (but then they don't go all that far and there is only a couple of overnights)

At the D1 school I attended we had to work the football and basketball games (mostly parking and ticket taking), and soccer when the school hosted the final four. I have no idea if it was specifically for fund raising for our baseball program, it was just expected that we do it. (no one had to work our games, because well...attendance was typically low double digits).

Oct 4, 2018
At the D1 school I attended we had to work the football and basketball games (mostly parking and ticket taking), and soccer when the school hosted the final four. I have no idea if it was specifically for fund raising for our baseball program, it was just expected that we do it. (no one had to work our games, because well...attendance was typically low double digits).

My goodness. When are girls supposed to study?

Sep 3, 2015
This statement stood out to me. Why would someone be uncomfortable asking a coach about travel expenses? You are not questioning God just another person. And it's not like you are asking about playing time. LOL

Who cares, I preferred to ask the TB coach some questions. I’m not sure why that’s an issue. With the schools DD was visiting, there was no need to ask about team travel expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck