How human are umpires? Leave them alone!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I know almost every umpire tries to be as fair and objective as possible, but if a parent or group of parents from 1 team begins riding an umpire over balls and strikes in the 2nd inning, should they really expect a bang-bang call to go their way in the 6th with the game on the line?

Our rec games always have youth umpires, 1 lone teenage girl doing her best to fairly officiate a fast-moving game. In last night's game, the strike zone was tough for both pitchers, but from where I was sitting, 1 sideline was more vocal about it than the other. As rec coaches, we're responsible for the behavior of the adults on our side, but how many times should an adult need to be told to just relax and enjoy what was for the most part a GREAT game? The other team's coaches and we both told our pitchers to adjust.

The critical out came on an attempted steal of 3rd in our last at-bat. With a lefty batter up, catcher had a clear throwing lane. She made a strong throw that was picked up off a short hop by the 3B who'd retreated to make the play. Everyone in the park knew the runner was safe, but the ump - who had moved up the line to get a better view - hesitated just long enough to verify the fielder held onto the ball and then signaled the out call. On the video, it's actually not as clear a 'safe' call as spectators might've believed. Yes, the video shows she was safe, but viewed in real time speed, the 'out' call wasn't a bad call.

Both pitchers did a great job, but ultimately, the other team made 1 more play and had 4 fewer errors than we did and those mistakes we made had nothing to do with the umpire. I hate that the umpire had to hear anything negative at all about the job she was trying to do. She called a great game.

May 14, 2010
How many of us would tolerate a crowd of 50 standing around our workplace and screaming at us? Here's to you, Blue! You're the best.

Jun 22, 2008
My kids old little league used mostly youth umpires up until playoffs and then brought in adults. They went to a zero tolerance policy for all parents, coaches and players. Anyone going off on the umpires was immediately asked to leave the facility and there were always 2-3 board members on hand at games.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
As in any "job", there are good workers and some sorry ones. After coaching FP for 10 years I got to know a lot of them as they worked tourneys within a distance from home. I was always relieved to get the good ones, hated when we got the less desirable. Playing far and away, I could tell by the 1st inning if the ump was decent, by the 3rd inning I could tell if I'd be watching from the parking lot.

There were a few I really enjoyed, they were good at the job, and very social. They knew a good number of the players by first name, and would always take time to speak to the girls.

I umped ( BB ) one season after college. Found out pretty fast that wasn't my calling. Since I had to deal with the strike zone from the mound for years, I feel I "knew" what was a strike and ball. But there was something about the 300 pound ( un athletic ) or the 100 pound ( soaking wet ) parent who probably never played ball, complaining about my calls. Since going to jail for doing something stupid, or quit umpiring were the two choices, I chose the later. :)

Apr 8, 2013
I umpired for about 10 years from age 13 (8-9 year old little league) until early 20s (high school baseball). Here's what I learned throughout the years:
1. Pre game talk with coaches - explain that you are human and will do everything in your power to make the right call, but you are human. Just like the players make mistakes, so do the umps. No one makes mistakes on purpose.
2. Be loud. Do not show any indecisiveness. Do not argue back.
3. Hustle. Get in position to make the call. This is one of the most important things. Lazy umps give all other umps a bad name. I can't stress this enough.
4. Respect the game, the coaches and the players. They will respect you back (most of the time).
5. Know the rule book. Everyone knows 99% of the rules, but you need to have complete knowledge of the 1% people don't know. Carry the rule book with you. And be respectfully when you point out someone else is wrong.

I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes while umpiring. A lot. But very few, if any, where from lack of hustle or knowledge. That's all I ask of the umpires who ump my daughters' games.

Like I tell my kids who expect near perfect umps all the time - "if you want MLB level umps, go play MLB."

Mar 28, 2013
The umpires at the triple crown event last weekend were by far the best I've ever come across. Not once did I see or hear teams riding blues calls. One umpire before the coin toss called the pitchers and catchers from both teams to the plate before the coin flip and told them "i'm giving you my standard zone which means 1 Ball off the corner either side knees to waist. so go tell your team mates don't get upset if I ring you up watching a close pitch,you were told" IE your gonna have to swing the bat. LOVE IT!! he joked with both the catchers/pitchers and the fans. He was as entertaining as the game itself. back home you cant even get blue to tell you where a close called ball was. Talked with him after the game and he said he believes open fun communication with coaches players and fans was part of the job. No mistake HE was always in control. as base umpire one Bang Bang play at first The coaches felt at ease enough to yell across the field we need instant replay, he yelled back, no we don't just call me instant replay. both teams broke out laughing. Behind the plate pitcher throws a drop in the dirt and the catcher has it squirt thru. He looked at the catcher and shouted out That was your fault (with a smile) don't go blaming the diva in the circle. Loved watching this guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44