Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
How do you figure she didn't get penalized? Sure, her average stays the same, but every other advance metric took a loss. Slugging percentage, OPS, etc...

Just make sure to let Patty Gasso know that it was really a mental error and not a double on your DD's permanent record, you should be good!

Just kidding! The RIGHT way to score it is a double, if it doesn't touch the glove its a hit. How you choose to score it is entirely up to you.. As has been discussed, cooking the books is a LONG time issue for teams and scorekeepers.

Pitcher parents care about hits / errors
Catcher parents care about WP / PB
Infielders parents E's
Batter parents hits

It "matters" to everyone but it doesn't matter to the game. I'm official scorekeeper for my DD's HS team, its hard but it makes it easier following the rules and the intent of the rules exactly. The only subjective part is "reasonable effort".. That should be quantified before each season / game.

Fortunately for your particular case, there is no subjective part!

Oct 14, 2019
Watching the UCF game the other day. Two pop flies to the outfield in same inning. Both were lost in the lights and landed close to the fielders. Both were hits. Fair to the pitcher? Maybe not, but they were stll hits.

P jams the batter who hits a weak pop over 2B. Hit.

Power hitter swings with all her might and accidentally dribbles bunt down 3B line. hit.

Runner on first breaks for second. SS covers and ball hit weekly through vacated space. hit.

Oct 14, 2019
I can usually tell by looking at GC whose parent is keeping score. Maybe that’s why judges recuse themselves if there’s a related party involved.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I can usually tell by looking at GC whose parent is keeping score. Maybe that’s why judges recuse themselves if there’s a related party involved.
I always get scared that if they were to look at DDs TB stats - they'd see that DD does have the highest BA but she legitimately does. On her HS team she does not but she's still pretty far up there. I do score my fair bit of ROE for her and she actually is usually towards the top on ROE as well. So I always hope I'm not biased. She bats lead off for a reason on her TB team..

Oct 14, 2019
I always get scared that if they were to look at DDs TB stats - they'd see that DD does have the highest BA but she legitimately does. On her HS team she does not but she's still pretty far up there. I do score my fair bit of ROE for her and she actually is usually towards the top on ROE as well. So I always hope I'm not biased. She bats lead off for a reason on her TB team..
I’m talking more about when I see anomalies like a P with 8 hits, 4 BB, 6 runs but no earned runs. Or a groundball error resulting in 2 RBI. Or a FC ruled a hit with runner out advancing to second.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yes there is some subjectivity when scoring, but the OP scenario should be ruled a Hit regardless of how the scorer feels what "should" have happened. It my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Lots of great comments and back up info to support the correct call.

So the OF owns up to her mistake, still doesn't make it an error. Just like when a SS is out of position on grounder. SS owns up that she made a mental mistake and should have been there. Still a hit. Looping ball behind 1B, 2nd baseman can't get to the ball because she broke to her left a little late because she thought it was hit harder to RF. She tells coach My Bad. It's a hit. If the OP was scorer in these situations and applied the same logic, these would all be errors.

Oct 14, 2019
Yes there is some subjectivity when scoring, but the OP scenario should be ruled a Hit regardless of how the scorer feels what "should" have happened. It my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Lots of great comments and back up info to support the correct call.

So the OF owns up to her mistake, still doesn't make it an error. Just like when a SS is out of position on grounder. SS owns up that she made a mental mistake and should have been there. Still a hit. Looping ball behind 1B, 2nd baseman can't get to the ball because she broke to her left a little late because she thought it was hit harder to RF. She tells coach My Bad. It's a hit. If the OP was scorer in these situations and applied the same logic, these would all be errors.
and if any of these “errors” occurred with 2 outs right before the other team scores 5 runs (all on non-error plays), P has 5 fewer earned runs.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
and if any of these “errors” occurred with 2 outs right before the other team scores 5 runs (all on non-error plays), P has 5 fewer earned runs.
Still boggles my mind that a person can hit a grand slam and none of the runs be earned ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom