High School Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The higher standard is more in the area of comportment, effort, body language....not giving anyone any reason to question why they are where they're at, as I understand the dynamics at play and potential for a bad lens
I understand why you are doing it (and I would do the same thing..) but the fact that you are doing it only for them (as a coach) makes it not objective 😉

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Sorry...but lol that is awesome.. :LOL:

Believe it or not, that was the point in the meeting where I felt like I had successfully done my job (which was, primarily to defend the coach while also listening to any valid concerns, and there were a couple small ones).

Interestingly, one of the parents has a daughter who's played on our 10u team for a couple years. We've butted heads in the past, but we generally get along now. Another has a daughter who joined our HS team this year, and since that meeting I have gone out of my way to make sure she's on my side. She hasn't given me trouble this season, other than today when she texted and said she didn't want to wait around for practice to end so her daughter had to leave early. I didn't even bother fighting her on it. Not worth it.

Jun 8, 2016
Believe it or not, that was the point in the meeting where I felt like I had successfully done my job (which was, primarily to defend the coach while also listening to any valid concerns, and there were a couple small ones).

Interestingly, one of the parents has a daughter who's played on our 10u team for a couple years. We've butted heads in the past, but we generally get along now. Another has a daughter who joined our HS team this year, and since that meeting I have gone out of my way to make sure she's on my side. She hasn't given me trouble this season, other than today when she texted and said she didn't want to wait around for practice to end so her daughter had to leave early. I didn't even bother fighting her on it. Not worth it.
Yeah your job involves dealing with humans too much..you can have it 😂

Aug 5, 2022
We are struggling with this in basketball at my dds high school. Fired a non parent coach about 10 yrs ago. Hired ex coach who coached 2-3 yrs while his dd was playing and quit. Hired another coach who had a dd in middle school. Coached until her dd graduated and quit. Just hired yet another coach with a dd who is a sophomore. Kids are tired of playing for parents. All of the seniors and juniors are considering not returning because they are over it. Ultimately I think they will play because they’re good kids and they don’t want to abandon their team but none of them are basketball players and they are playing collegiate athletics in other sports so couldn’t blame them if they didn’t. Really irresponsible of the school and AD to continue hiring parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Really irresponsible of the school and AD to continue hiring parents.

I'm the guy who just said I don't like the idea of hiring parents to coach HS teams, so I 100% agree with your sentiment, but... I'm guessing Gregg Popovich isn't taking that job any time soon, you know?

This year our boys soccer coach is the one (1) teacher, a new teacher, who happened to be excited to do it. I'm so happy the school hired her. Not only does she seem to be a good teacher, but she's really enthusiastic about coaching. If the school had not hired her, we probably wouldn't have a team. Or I'd have to deal with a parent coach (I know of one parent who would likely do it). I know this because I had ads up for a coach for 2-3 months and didn't get a single applicant.

So we can all agree that a parent coach of a HS team is usually less than ideal, but it also may be the only choice if the school wants to have a team. And it probably is still a better choice than just forcing Mr. Smith the chemistry teacher with no real experience playing or coaching the sport to do it.

May 20, 2015
I understand why you are doing it (and I would do the same thing..) but the fact that you are doing it only for them (as a coach) makes it not objective 😉

not if i am doing it to benefit the program, understanding the intricacies of being a successful parent/coach (it happens ;) )

the fact that it benefits them is a bonus, but the objective goal is to keep any semblance of favoritism at bay

May 20, 2015

and I am a big proactive coaching disciple......we set high standards for behavior for all athletes, and all work to hold each other accountable to those standards

as i said in the previous post, holding mine to the utmost standards is not done to benefit them, but done to keep things running smooth, understanding the issues with parent/coaches that can present

Apr 14, 2022
Schools have nepotism policies that are mainly employment spouse to spouse, they do not appear much parent to kid. Kids can be in the parents room even though we have like 11 other options.
If I was a volunteer coach and favoritism was raised I would just quit.
As a pitchers dad it seams best not to coach. I would really have to vet a travel ball team where a pitchers dad was the coach.
Within a grade I think DD has 6 parents that coach travel ball. If they volunteered 2 would be fine, 2 would play favorites but probably tolerable, 2 would be absolute disasters.
My kids school has at any time 8 or so kids with parent coaches.
We have a couple of minor issues personally. However I go to a lot of events and it is pretty obvious both in academic and athletics.
It is not personal just observations.
Examples (none affected me)
qb was 3 consecutive coaches kid
Coaches kid played varsity football as freshman before a kid that is being recruited d1.
Coaches kid mentioned as leading sprinter, was super slow, kid that Al stated 4 times was an and.
Track coach moved runner to different event so dd could make it to state.
Different track coach kid was allowed to run conference instead of kids with faster times.
I could go on but if it is happening in track that is not subjective I t would think it is worse in others.

If I was an ad and had parents coaching I would expect favoritism claims.
In my area high school softball coaches skill level is not that important to team outcome. They get ready made teams. Just play the best players can many times cause more harm than good. One year the coach took over pitch calling, power 5 pitcher got hit. Gave pitch calling to catcher won until lost state championship game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish