Heroines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Also you might want to compile several data sources before concluding your metrics
CB quoted the FBI statistics which is *the* clearinghouse of line of duty deaths and manner of death for police. They also track police use of force and homicide by police officers.

There is no more accurate source.

If you would like to learn more, former fastpitch player Heather Macdonald, a Harvard trained criminologist, delves deeply into the numbers in her excellent book “The War On Police”. She is one of those darn smart people who make decisions based on statistics and facts like I do with my lineup.

Just like in Fastpitch, accurate statistics tell you if what you think is happening is really what is happening. Looks to me like a lot people in that argument would be leading off a .140 average slapper because she is left handed and “looks fast”.

Mar 10, 2020
LOL.. so Mike Trout gets more $/year because he stands during the NA .. OK
So watch sports then.. I still watch sports, regardless if people stand or take a knee during the NA.. what are you watching?
If you have been following the discussion I've never commented about people taking a knee or the national anthem Those are political topics that I have clearly spoken do not interest me. Those are political topics that i do not want involved when I pay for a ticket.
Dont post anymore political comentary. The thread could get shut down.

Feb 7, 2014
The time and place is inappropriate on the clock at work.

When you go to work, you are allowed to give your political opinions to your work colleagues, customers and anyone else that you come into contact with? That would have gotten me fired.

I am curious what some of you do for a living ? Cannonball, in regards to giving your political opinion at work you're correct - if I did that I would be fired. In fact I would say some of us (maybe most ?) don't have the luxury of voicing their opinions outside of work either for fear you will be fired. I happen to work for one of the larger special interest organizations in the country and they devote a portion of their workforce solely to monitoring employees (inside and out of work). I say all of that to repeat what I said in an earlier post... "You're correct, employee's speech is often suppressed. All the more reason to be encouraged by the actions of these ladies."

Mar 10, 2020
I am curious what some of you do for a living ? Cannonball, in regards to giving your political opinion at work you're correct - if I did that I would be fired. In fact I would say some of us (maybe most ?) don't have the luxury of voicing their opinions outside of work either for fear you will be fired. I happen to work for one of the larger special interest organizations in the country and they devote a portion of their workforce solely to monitoring employees (inside and out of work). I say all of that to repeat what I said in an earlier post... "You're correct, employee's speech is often suppressed. All the more reason to be encouraged by the actions of these ladies."
Is the point of your post that you think everybody should be able to speak their minds while they're at work?

Dec 11, 2010
Just in case anyone has any doubt, of course your employer can limit what you say at work. To some extent, they can also limit what you say or do when you aren’t working. Just like an org president can limit what one of his coaches says publicly or privately.

If everyone understood this one thing, it would really help: The Constitution prevents unreasonable intrusion by the Government. It does not prohibit all intrusion, just unreasonable intrusion. (Hint: Most employers “ain't The G”.)

Of course it is not quite that simple. That is a really good start though.

May 12, 2016
CB quoted the FBI statistics which is *the* clearinghouse of line of duty deaths and manner of death for police. They also track police use of force and homicide by police officers.

There is no more accurate source.

If you would like to learn more, former fastpitch player Heather Macdonald, a Harvard trained criminologist, delves deeply into the numbers in her excellent book “The War On Police”. She is one of those darn smart people who make decisions based on statistics and facts like I do with my lineup.

Just like in Fastpitch, accurate statistics tell you if what you think is happening is really what is happening. Looks to me like a lot people in that argument would be leading off a .140 average slapper because she is left handed and “looks fast”.
Westwind, I work with data every day. One of the biggest challenges can be collection and classification of data.. let me give you an example and I'm not going into specifics, but this is an actual case. A man was shot dead by a police officer and it was classified suicide. That case will not show up in the statistics provided by CB.

Also..... If we look at Covid 19 in my province it would seem females are more at risk of dying, 53% females vs %47 males.. however that's not the case really. Covid affects older people more seriously. Because females live longer lives than males.. there is a greater population of the critical age to be infected. The same is applicable to CB's numbers.. what's the ratio of blacks to whites in the US? Did the FBI provide a % or just raw numbers? Be careful with raw numbers. As a coach who does the lineup I am sure you understand what I mean by that.

1595086969311.png

I believe off the top of my head the numbers look like this

1 in every 10M for Whites
1 in every 4M for Blackes

Just curious if the FBI report broke it down like that?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
I work for a very large company. We now have a diversity officer, have had anti-racism webinars, we participate in online training to uncover unperceived biases, and have these topics discussed in quarterly state-of-the company calls by our CEO and other top company officers, etc. If you want to call that 'politics' I think you are missing the point. It's about fairness and a good work environment and encouraging these values in society at large, and even if you want to be more 'corporate-minded' it's about risk management and corporate culture. I haven't heard one word about politics or candidates or parties in any of what my company has done (to be clear, specific topics that tend to be more changed like BLM or policing reform have NOT come up either). My point is: you CAN talk about what some would call 'social justice' issues (diversity, inclusion, biases, pay equity, etc) -- in the workplace or just in general -- without injecting those discussions with partisan politics. In fact, IMO it would be a huge step forward if we could do just that.

May 12, 2016
I work for a very large company. We now have a diversity officer, have had anti-racism webinars, we participate in online training to uncover unperceived biases, and have these topics discussed in quarterly state-of-the company calls by our CEO and other top company officers, etc. If you want to call that 'politics' I think you are missing the point. It's about fairness and a good work environment and encouraging these values in society at large, and even if you want to be more 'corporate-minded' it's about risk management and corporate culture. I haven't heard one word about politics or candidates or parties in any of what my company has done (to be clear, specific topics that tend to be more changed like BLM or policing reform have NOT come up either). My point is: you CAN talk about what some would call 'social justice' issues (diversity, inclusion, biases, pay equity, etc) -- in the workplace or just in general -- without injecting those discussions with partisan politics. In fact, IMO it would be a huge step forward if we could do just that.
Agree 100%.. and I shouldn't of used the word politics, but I get the feeling it wouldn't not of made much difference anyway. Seeing change at my company as well.. these topics are being discussed and we are being educated.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
The book, Julray. It’s in the book. Detailed analysis, not news headlines.
Hey you are the one that said FBI one source for truth in regards to these numbers..Now it's just news headlines :). I'm just shining some light on how numbers can be misleading unless provided with the correct context. Thought you would be interested.
I recently heard an interview with your fellow Canadian Fergie Jenkins. It was heartbreaking as an American to hear that he did not experience racism until he came to the U.S. to play baseball. It disgusts me.

Now... I have been to Canada and I have trained side by side with one of the greatest law enforcement agencies in the world in the little town of Regina on ”the bald assed prairie” as they termed it. Y’all got a nice little thing going up there but it isn’t what we have. Maybe you are one of the many with dual citizenship but as far as I’m concerned, you can mind your own business. We got this.
That's just plain ignorance. I didn't realize me being north of the border came with a muzzle or made all Canadians immune to racial issues which you are seeing in the US. Regardless I wanted to break off from this topic anyway, so I'll leave you to it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr